Under high-load, throttling fails events NSEventBatchView/QuantumStatus= “Failure after start”, “Failure during rule firing(s)"? RRS feed

• Question

• I was testing SSNS 2005 for a new application and found that while doing some load testing that some large batches of events were not being processed into notifications, seemingly at random. Eventually I tracked down a link (below) to the throttling settings (defaults to 1000). If I disabled throttling by changing the ADF config then it seems to help, e.g.

<ApplicationExecutionSettings>

<EventThrottle>0</EventThrottle>
    <NotificationThrottle>0</NotificationThrottle>
    <SubscriptionThrottle>0</SubscriptionThrottle>

</ApplicationExecutionSettings>

Should anyone expecting a high-load of events look closely at these settings?

Is there a diagnostic procedure or table I should have looked at to help track this down? Or, should the QuantumStatus value in NSEventBatchView really say something like: "Event throttle limit reached", etc? Shouldn't the failing events have been retried?

Even with this I am still getting some "Failure after start" events though all the events are the same.

Cheers,
    -Matthew Hobbs

Ref: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms171354(SQL.90).aspx

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 9:17 PM

Answers

• As you've discovered the ApplicationExecutionSettings node allows you to configure the way your SSNS application responds to large event batches and notification batches. You for higher volume systems, you'll definitely want to keep these settings in mind. When the settings are exceeded, the quantum is aborted.

HTH...

Friday, May 5, 2006 8:39 PM