none
How to detect that emails are moved to the Inbox folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We want to show a toast notification when new emails arrive. The issue is we don't know how to detect that emails are moved to the Inbox folder which we don't show to show toast notification (after a sync).

Thanks!

ArchieCoder

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:33 AM

Answers

• Hello ArchieCoder,

Assuming that you're using EAS (are you?), this is expected since the protocol does not support notifications. There is a notification protocol for use with RPC ([MS-OXCNOTIF]) and also a web service protocol ([MS-OXWSNTIF]), but no analogous protocol for EAS. From the perspective of EAS, a newly synced and unread email is a new email.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

• Marked as answer by ArchieCoderMVP Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:42 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hello ArchieCoder,

What is it that is moving the mail to the Inbox folder after syncing? I would typically expect the client to sync metadata from a specific folder (in this case the Inbox folder), for example as seen in [MS-ASEMAIL] §4.1.1, and from that sync have a list of the new emails in that folder. I'm probably not understanding some aspect of your scenario, so if you could elaborate further about what is happening versus what you expect to happen, that would be very helpful.

Best regards,

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hello,

Here is the scenario:

On your computer A, your mail client is opened and this email client will display a toast notification when new emails arrive.

On your computer B, using the same account as the computer A, you move emails from the Deleted Items folder and you move them into the Inbox.

What is happening right now is when the synchronization happens on computer A, we can't distinguish that emails were existing before being moved to the Inbox which we don't want to show a toast notification to an email that we already show a toast notification.

Let me know if it is not clear.

Thanks

ArchieCoder

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Hello ArchieCoder,

Thank you for that explanation, that's very clear. I will research this further and let you know what I find soon.

Best regards,

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Hello Matt,

I will wait what you will find out, but I think that I discovered something. If you test on the Mail OS app on Windows 9 or the mail client on Windows Phone and you move UNREAD emails from the Deleted Items to the Inbox, they will be threaded as new emails!!

ArchieCoder

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Hello ArchieCoder,

Assuming that you're using EAS (are you?), this is expected since the protocol does not support notifications. There is a notification protocol for use with RPC ([MS-OXCNOTIF]) and also a web service protocol ([MS-OXWSNTIF]), but no analogous protocol for EAS. From the perspective of EAS, a newly synced and unread email is a new email.

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by ArchieCoderMVP Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:42 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for the update. Ok, that makes sense now.

I would like to thank you and your team for the fast answers, it is much appreciated.

ArchieCoder

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:42 PM