none
Problem Printing on network (Reportviewer 2008) RRS feed

• Question

• I imported a Visual studio 2005 project into Visual studio 2008 with no problems. I created some new reports, and when i published my project i expected all users to be able to print from their PCs. It seems that when they press the print button, no error comes up. Instead the print dialog starts normally but the print job never reaches the printer. They have no problems printing from other microsoft products like MS word.

On the pc that visual studio is installed, and that i log in as administrator, i am able to print to the same network printer without any problems. Does any1 have any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:32 AM

All replies

• pandelis said:

I imported a Visual studio 2005 project into Visual studio 2008 with no problems. I created some new reports, and when i published my project i expected all users to be able to print from their PCs. It seems that when they press the print button, no error comes up. Instead the print dialog starts normally but the print job never reaches the printer. They have no problems printing from other microsoft products like MS word.

On the pc that visual studio is installed, and that i log in as administrator, i am able to print to the same network printer without any problems. Does any1 have any ideas?

Interesting,  this sounds like a mult-step support issue. But I'll throw a few things out there for you to try.

First,  is this a web application or a windows applicatioN?   Did the print button work for them in the past? Can any of them print to a local printer?  If they export it to a .pdf file and print to the network printer from adobe, does it work ok?

Living my life at 123mph in 11.15 seconds
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:12 PM
  • It is a windows application published using clickonce. The users in the network used the reports in the past but through Reportviewer 2005. I had a crashing problem when anyone tried to print anything to a printer network or not. The issue was supposed to be fixed using the SP1 but that didnt work for me. I also made a relevant post msdn forum back then, but no solution.

When printing to a local printer there is a program crash without any error! That behaviour persists even if i am logged in as administrator!

if i print on a network printer there is just no print job produced, although the printing report dialog comes up and seems to be working. If i am logged in as administrator the print job is sent to the printer successfully

If we export the report to pdf we can successfully print it afterwards, but its troublesome and i believe that isnt the reports desired functionality. The network is set up using windows xp pro, and windows server 2003.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:49 AM
  •  
    pandelis said:

It is a windows application published using clickonce. The users in the network used the reports in the past but through Reportviewer 2005. I had a crashing problem when anyone tried to print anything to a printer network or not. The issue was supposed to be fixed using the SP1 but that didnt work for me. I also made a relevant post msdn forum back then, but no solution.

When printing to a local printer there is a program crash without any error! That behaviour persists even if i am logged in as administrator!

if i print on a network printer there is just no print job produced, although the printing report dialog comes up and seems to be working. If i am logged in as administrator the print job is sent to the printer successfully

If we export the report to pdf we can successfully print it afterwards, but its troublesome and i believe that isnt the reports desired functionality. The network is set up using windows xp pro, and windows server 2003.

Ok, well that's interesting, I personally use this in a web application, so the rules are definately different and my help may be limited but lets see what we can come up with.

In a webapplication, an active X control is installed and can be viewed in the internet addons called  "RSClient Print Class".   Bundled inside of it is all the functionality to do what your having trouble with.  Now, my reportviewer is built and designed in VS2005, but my web pages and GAC reference the RV 9.0 version, that way I can use the print functionality, which wasn't available in RV 8.0 for rdlc. 

So, what I don't know is, what do windows applications use in order to do the printing?  Is there something that gets installed on every box?  And are we possibly facing security issues where it didn't get installed correctly?  Or maybe it did get installed correctly, and security is blocking it from accessing everything correctly?   The reason I ask about security issues is because you mention that if your logged in as admin, the print job is sent sucessfully.  However this contradicts your problem with local printing.

I may not be much help here, I just don't know the rules behind the windows application side of this.
    Living my life at 123mph in 11.15 seconds
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Reportviewer was installed on client pcs while having administrator rights, so instalation was ok. It must have sth to do with the control but i just dont know what. Thank you for your help and time.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 10:26 AM