Include natvis, natstepfilter etc alongside source code? RRS feed

Answers

• Apparently vs2013 has support for local natvis files.
    • Marked as answer by sk3141 Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:55 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

Based on the link above,I assume that you are using the Visual Studio 2013 Preview and you want to load the natvis file from the specified location.

You can use the Visual Studio Natvis framework to customize the way Visual Studio displays native types in debugger variable windows such as the Watch, Locals, and Data Tips windows. It supersedes the autoexp.dat file that has been used in earlier versions of Visual Studio and offers Xml syntax, better diagnostics, versioning, and multiple file support.

Please try writing a visualization for your types by creating a .natvis file and then dropping it into one of these locations:
    • %VSINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Packages\Debugger\Visualizers (requires admin access)

• %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Visualizers\

• Visual Studio extension folders (the extension manifest must contain a NativeVisualizer asset entry)

At the start of each debugging session, Visual Studio loads and processes every .natvis file it can find in these locations (it is NOT necessary to restart Visual Studio).

For more information,please refer to the following links:

Create custom views of native objects in the debugger

Using Visual Studio 2013 to write maintainable native visualizations (natvis)

Best Regards.

Jane.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Jane, though I think you've missed the main point of my question.

Please try writing a visualization for your types by creating a .natvis file and then dropping it into one of these locations:

• %VSINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Packages\Debugger\Visualizers (requires admin access)

• %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Visualizers\

These are no good since they take effect across all solutions.

• Visual Studio extension folders (the extension manifest must contain a NativeVisualizer asset entry)

As I understand it, enabled extensions will also affect all solutions so this looks problematic also.

However - can one write an extension which loads a solution-relative or project-relative natvis file?

Or do you have any other suggestions for how to load a LOCAL natvis file?

Thanks,Stephen.

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback,Stephen.

I am trying to involve some experts to solve this issue.

They would give response here after having found out the better solutions.

Kind Regards.

Jane.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 2, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Hi Jane, any progress on this? Or any chance it'll make it in to a future version?

Thanks,
    Stephen.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Apparently vs2013 has support for local natvis files.
    • Marked as answer by sk3141 Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:55 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:55 AM