Unable to change the Visual Studio 2012 Premium installation path from D drive to C drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have uninstalled Visual Studio 2012 Premium from "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0", I am trying to install again in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0" drive but installation setup not allowing to change the path, please advice me to how to change this?

Many Thanks,

Kalaivanan.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Kalaivanan Ramaiah,

If the above doesn't help, In my opinion, since there must be some software you installed on your D drive. As most applications store data in your system's registry.

In this case, I recommend you back up important files and reformat your OS first, then install Visual Studio 2012 with a healthy installer.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:24 AM
    • Edited by Jiayi Li Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalaivanan Ramaiah Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Kalaivanan Ramaiah,

Since you have installed Visual Studio 2012 Premium, and it will install VS 2012 at this read-only location. I doubt that your VS 2012 Premium isn’t uninstalled completely.

If you uninstall it from the Control Panel, please try to use /uninstall /force to remove VS 2012, it will remove the shared components, please take the following steps to have a try:

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2012 Premium. If you installed from media, please insert that media.

2.Open a command prompt.

a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).

b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).

3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force

Example: D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force

4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

After this command, to see whether you could change the installation location or not.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:10 AM
  • Hi Jiayi Li Pactera,

Many Thanks for you response, I tried this option("vs_premium.exe /uninstall /force") but still i cannot change the installation path, is there any other options?

Regards,

Kalaivanan.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Hi Kalaivanan Ramaiah,

If the above doesn't help, In my opinion, since there must be some software you installed on your D drive. As most applications store data in your system's registry.

In this case, I recommend you back up important files and reformat your OS first, then install Visual Studio 2012 with a healthy installer.

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:24 AM
    • Edited by Jiayi Li Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalaivanan Ramaiah Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 8:16 AM