Wipe of flash partition on HP Ipaq wm devices? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to wipe appr. 1200 devices with a high degree of security and I am looking for 3rd party software to use in this. Do any have any recommendations on which tools to use and which provide me with the best solution?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:12 PM

Answers

• Probably MTTY if those HP devices have the same bootloader.
    You'd then need a proper HP bootloader code and a usb cable split into few miniUSB endings.

MTTY would send one command to those devices and all should erase their flash.
    But You'd need to get in contact with HP to know that particular command.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• Probably MTTY if those HP devices have the same bootloader.
    You'd then need a proper HP bootloader code and a usb cable split into few miniUSB endings.

MTTY would send one command to those devices and all should erase their flash.
    But You'd need to get in contact with HP to know that particular command.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Thought I would receive an email when someone replied to my thread. I am examining MTTY currently:-)

I was just wondering if there was any actual applications designed for the purpose, it can't be the first time someone needs to erase sensitive data on WM devices. But it appears that there are only few applications out there. I have been looking at http://www.aikosolutions.com/ secuwipe.

So I guess I have a few more questions:
    • Do you know of applications which you can install on a PPC device and the securely wipe a device? i.e. adhering to standards of erasing data such as " Bruce Schneier's algorithm"
    • Does anyone know if there are tools one can use for validating data has been erased?
    • Is there a problem to erasing flash memory compared to other storage areas on WM devices?

Best Regards,
    Ole Daugaard
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Normally You can do the hard reset (also via programatic way) but how it behaves, is bootloader dependant.
    Usually after HR, BL just copies bytes from one place to another - therefore overwritting most of the data which was stored before.

But if You want to completely zero-memory Your flash (so to delete all data unrecoverably), You need to do it via third party apps launched directly from PC.

But there's also an other way to do what You want.
    You can do the HR and launch an app (from Storage Card) which will create a very large file on a PDA flash filled only with zeroes (a lot of those). It will be the same as when You'd do it with any other tool (those zeroes will overwritte previous bytes which still residue on flash after files have been deleted).

This process is called shredering and is a nasty trick to not to leave the data behind ;).

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:47 PM