Play video inside WebBrowser control RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is it possible to play a video from a web site inside the WebBrowser control? I'm trying to implement an ad viewer that will bring up links in a browser within the app (implemented using WebBrowser), and one of the links will redirect me to a .3gp video file. It'd be nice if the browser could launch the media player on its own or something to play the video, but it looks like that's not the case.

IE can handle the same link just fine, but I'd prefer to not jump out of the app to open these links, since exiting and re-entering the app is slow pre-Mango. Also, I know about the ScriptNotify stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option here, since we basically have no control over the site itself.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• *BUMP*
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Don't know if you can achieve that using the WebBrowser control; right now, I think the only solution for your problem is downloading the .3gp file to IsolatedStorare and using the MediaPlayerLauncher to play it!...
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Is it possible to play a video from a web site inside the WebBrowser control? I'm trying to implement an ad viewer that will bring up links in a browser within the app (implemented using WebBrowser), and one of the links will redirect me to a .3gp video file. It'd be nice if the browser could launch the media player on its own or something to play the video, but it looks like that's not the case.

IE can handle the same link just fine, but I'd prefer to not jump out of the app to open these links, since exiting and re-entering the app is slow pre-Mango. Also, I know about the ScriptNotify stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option here, since we basically have no control over the site itself.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

7 WebBrowser doesn't support launching external protocols. In Mango WebBrowser, you can launch video as well as get thumbnail view by loading video in HTML5 video tag, which launches a lite external player when tapped. Also, if it's a Mango app, it'll also take advantage of FAS so you should see a quick resume when switching back and forth from the player.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:37 PM