none
Active X controls in Excel 365 stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• After today's Windows update and re-boot, I am no longer able to drop an Active X control on a sheet or even access existing controls' properties. Underlying VBA code works as do macros and form controls.

Anybody else seeing this?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Antene88,

>>Is there the same problem with office 2013? I still would have to do my updates when I shut down.<<

Yes, as far as I test the issue occurred in Office 2013 too. Here is a workaround provided by other community:

First

Start Windows Explorer.

Select your system drive (usually C:)

Use the Search box to search for *.exd

Delete all the files it finds.

Start Excel again.

Second

In this file you can find this line:

@del "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Excel8.0\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Word8.0\*.exd" /s

Also we have reported this problem and will keep you updated once there's any progress.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 12, 2014 8:34 AM

All replies

• Since yesterdays updates, Excel 2007/2010 applications using either Activex or VBA were not working.

Traced the problem to security updates for Office.

KB2596927 for Excel 2007

KB2553154 for Excel 2010

Uninstalled them and the problem was resolved.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:15 AM
  • We discovered that logging into the computer as a new user the ActiveX controls work. So deleting the user's profile and having them login again seems to correct the problem. 

We are trying to track down what specifically changed so that perhaps we could apply that corrective action without having to delete everyone's profile.

Geoff

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:42 AM
  • We are using Office 2013. There is a different KB number for the various versions of office. The entire list is in the security bulletin here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-082

Geoff

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:46 AM
  • Thanks a million. Saved me a lot of trouble :)

Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Is there the same problem with office 2013? I still would have to do my updates when I shut down.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Hi Antene88,

>>Is there the same problem with office 2013? I still would have to do my updates when I shut down.<<

Yes, as far as I test the issue occurred in Office 2013 too. Here is a workaround provided by other community:

First

Start Windows Explorer.

Select your system drive (usually C:)

Use the Search box to search for *.exd

Delete all the files it finds.

Start Excel again.

Second

In this file you can find this line:

@del "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Excel8.0\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE\*.exd" /s

@del "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Word8.0\*.exd" /s

Also we have reported this problem and will keep you updated once there's any progress.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 12, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Hi

Here is the latest update for this issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025036/EN-US?wa=wsignin1.0

Regards & Fei

Monday, December 22, 2014 8:34 AM
  • This fix worked for me - just wish I hadn't wasted an hour and a half thinking I was going crazy before I found this forum thread.

It's not good enough for Microsoft to release updates which cause problems. Also, does this mean that if I send my content-controlled form out to someone who has installed the latest Microsoft update, they won't be able to use the form control fields? As my form is a Customer questionnaire, this could be a big problem for my company.

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:47 PM