SMTP Mail and Password Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• User-1852648108 posted

Has anyone got this function to work?

My entry in web.config looks like this...

<system.net>

<mailSettings>

<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from=webmaster@mydomain.com >

<network host="mail.mydomain.com" port="25" userName="myuseraccount />

</smtp>

</mailSettings>

</system.net>

The error message I get is as follows:

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

The users password is being reset but the email is not being sent out. Are my mailsettings incorrect? I have checked the entry for the registered users mailbox and it is in the correct format - xxx@xxx.com. My host does need an explicit authentication account to log into smtp server, which I have provided in the web.config settings. Account has no password.

Help. Prob something stupid I have done. But having found quite a few coding problems already nothing will surprise me anymore.

Ta

Monday, December 5, 2005 6:43 AM

All replies

• User39490543 posted
    I am guessing it is because you have only supplied a userName and not a password?

Check out the documentation for the mailSettings Element.

Monday, December 5, 2005 7:33 AM
  • User-1852648108 posted
    Thanks. But have also tried with the password element. No luck. Same error message.
    Monday, December 5, 2005 8:04 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

I think you'll find it's a mail server setting.  Check relay settings for the mail server.

ZJeff

Thursday, December 8, 2005 4:08 PM
  • User-1852648108 posted

Hi Jeff. Thanks for your interest...

Could you please advise exactly what I should be looking for with regard to mail server and relay settings?

Thx

Jon

Friday, December 9, 2005 8:05 AM
  • User-1852648108 posted

I've answered my own query...

in login.aspx you need to specify a <MailDefinition From> element within the control.

<MailDefinition From=bloggs@site.com/>

i.e <asp:PasswordRecovery ID="Passwordrecovery1" runat="server" MailDefinition-From=bloggs@site.com>

Works for me.

Jon

Friday, December 9, 2005 10:56 AM
  • User-1852648108 posted
    The above answer is a load of rubbish. It was problem with mail server provider after all....
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:13 AM
  • User1280082393 posted

I'm having the same problem, i can't send email out using system.net.mail class i have all the settings in the web.config file. I am using discountasp.net for my host and they say everything on their end is ok, so do you know what is going on? If you find out post something at www.aspnetsource.com  

<mailSettings>

<smtp from="support@aspnetsource.com">

<network host="mail.aspnetsource.com" password="nottelling" userName="aspnetsourc"/>

</smtp>

</mailSettings>

Sunday, March 5, 2006 6:53 PM