Error: Manifest references file xxxxx.dll which is not part of the payload

Question

• Hi!

I'm trying to develop own Extension SDK. Inside my solutions i have two projects

1. C# class library, MediaComposer

2. C++ Windows Runtime Component , MediaComponents

C++ WRC needed to deal with Media Foundation classes (IMFSourceReader), C# lib is referencing C++ lib as it needed it functionality.

I've created Extension SDK, my SDKManifest includes two references

<File Reference="MediaComposer.dll" Implementation="MediaComposer.dll"/> 
    <File Reference="MediaComponents.winmd" Implementation="MediaComponents.dll"/>

Project layout looks like

Redist

\Debug

\x86

MediaComponents.dll

MediaComposer.dll

References

\Debug

\x86

MediaComposer.dll

MediaComponents.winmd

In my sample app i added reference to my Extension SDK. In build time VS says

Manifest references file 'MediaComponents.dll' which is not part of the payload

Okay, i did removed next line

and MediaComponents.winmd from References folder. On the launch i got exception 

Could not find Windows Runtime type 'MediaComponents.MediaSourceReader'.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:39 PM

Answers

• Right click on the project SampleExtension, Add -> Reference -> Under Windows 8.1 -> Extensions, select "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Runtime Package for Windows".

Try running your app again.

Raman Sharma | Program Manager, Visual C&#43;&#43; | <a href="http://twitter.com/rasharm_"> @rasharm_</a> <br/> <br/> (if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• You should add that file back.  Then ensure that file exists as part of the project that references it as 'Content'

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Friday, June 27, 2014 2:49 PM
  • If im adding it back i receiving error while trying to build app what has reference to my SDK

Friday, June 27, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Are you manually adding the reference to these 2 components in the manifest? Did you try to add a reference to the extension SDK? The latter should add all the required pieces to the SDKmanifest to make this work.

Thanks,

Nada

Friday, June 27, 2014 7:34 PM
  • If i'm putting

<File Reference="MediaComposer.dll" Implementation="MediaComposer.dll"/> 

Build fails with

If i do understand this correctly it says: "MediaComponents.dll will be included in to your app package, but i can't do this because i think it never used in your code" ?

Is it possible at all to create extension with class library what depends on WRC? App is not referencing WRC directly, from my point of view this because VS fails build.

Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Here is a sample solution what includes all the stuffs i'm talking about - http://1drv.ms/1qZVDnD 

App has reference to Sample Extension SDK. SDK consist of two components 

1. ClassLib - c# class library, depend on WRComponent

2. WRComponent 

SDKMenifest.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <FileList 
       DisplayName="Sample Extension SDK" 
       ProductFamilyName="Extension SDK"
       MinVSVersion="11.0" 
       MinToolsVersion="4.0" 
       CopyRedistToSubDirectory="ExtensionSDK"
       SupportedArchitectures = "x86"
       MoreInfo="http://microsoft.com/">

<File Reference="ClassLib.dll" Implementation="ClassLib.dll"/> 
       <File Reference="WRComponent.winmd" Implementation="WRComponent.dll"/>

</FileList>

To reporoduse my issue - open solution, build and install Sample Extension SDK, next try to build SampleExtension app. You will see:

Manifest references file 'WRComponent.dll' which is not part of the payload.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Thanks Dmitry. We're having some experts look at it. Assuming you haven't solved it yet?
    Monday, June 30, 2014 11:22 PM
  • The culprit seems to be this line in the SDKManifest.xml:

CopyRedistToSubDirectory="ExtensionSDK"

Removing it solves this issue.

Raman Sharma | Program Manager, Visual C&#43;&#43; | <a href="http://twitter.com/rasharm_"> @rasharm_</a> <br/> <br/> (if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Thanks Raman!

But now i have another issue - i added next lines of code to MainPage constructor

ClassLib.Class1 cls1 = new ClassLib.Class();

cls1.Add(2, 2);

Now i'm having next error on app launch

{System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
       at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD)
       at WRComponent.Class1..ctor()
       at ClassLib.Class1.Add(Int32 x, Int32 y)
       at SampleExtension.MainPage..ctor()
       at SampleExtension.SampleExtension_XamlTypeInfo.XamlTypeInfoProvider.Activate_0_MainPage()

at SampleExtension.SampleExtension_XamlTypeInfo.XamlUserType.ActivateInstance()} 

Updated sample project is available from here sampleExtension 

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Right click on the project SampleExtension, Add -> Reference -> Under Windows 8.1 -> Extensions, select "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Runtime Package for Windows".

Try running your app again.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi Raman!

Thank you, solved!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:38 AM