none
XAML in DirectX NOT DirectX in XAML RRS feed

• General discussion

• Every single one of the XAML/DirectX interop ever talked about is DirectX in XAML but NEVER XAML in DirectX. The missing piece that has been missing for YEARS, is the ability to leverage XAML into a DirectX surface. There are two main reasons for wanting to do this. 1. Games need a good UI and this has never been addressed by Microsoft (currently being addressed by Unity in the absence of Microsoft). 2. If you want to cast a screen image to a remote viewer, current XAML based solutions do not allow the XAML image to be composited to an image. This is despite WPF being a retained mode graphics system (i.e. there is a surface somewhere under the covers).

Why is it that Microsoft refuse to give us a way to create a XAML based UI for a DirectX game? This would push them out in advance of OpenGL. For goodness sake, they already do this for the Windows environment (i.e. leverage DirectX for the Windows screen).

I just don't get it. XAML is NOT an API solution because the measurement, layout and rendering are all black boxes and preclude us from leveraging this technology. XAML has not given us any more tools than the previous GDI based system.

Please tell me that I am not the only one asking for this!!! What do we need to do to move this forward?

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:42 AM