Just trying, want 7 back!

Question

• Hi!

I installed Windows 8 developer preview just to try it out, but its not as good as i thinked. So, is there any way of getting my old windows 7 back?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• You will need to perform a fresh install of Windows 7. You can't uninstall the Developer Preview.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:02 PM
  • The only way to get 7 back is if you have a back up or a system image
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:02 PM
  • what if you don't have any of those? I don't even have a CD burner..

I know it was stupid of me but I could use some help.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Why is it not as good?

If the Metro UI is the thing annoying you, you can disable it quite quickly

look here: http://it-ca.net/blogdylan/?p=194
    This will make your windows8 look and feel a bit more like 7.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Its not the look. I like that. Its just the drivers aren't working on windows 8. I'm on a Lenovo x220t and I keep trying to get to the restore option on reboot but it dosn-t work it goes straight to the log on. I had no recovery point before and everytime i try to do a reset it asks for a disk that I don't have. My computer has a partition called Lenovo recovery but I don't know how to access it. can anyone please help?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I thought it was going to have full support and I would be able to do everythin I could do before with the desktop app but that dosn't seem to work.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:33 PM
  • This version has NO support whatsoever. It is a developer preview, not even a Beta. Like any other pre-release software, you are not supposed to install it on a machine you rely on. If you have any important data you must backup before installing.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:56 PM
  • The following may work:

First backup your system.  Then try the following:

Press the power button and you should see : “To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button."

Best Regards - Eric

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I get that now. It was stupid. REALLY stupid. I am one of those teenagers who are in over there heads.. but any help is still really appreciated. I cant even get the BIOS ( if that is what is called when you press F11 on startup)

Please help. I understand my stupidity. Im still beating myself up about it. I could just really use some help.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Thank you Eric but if the blue button is the thinkvantage button that isn't working.. it seems to work for a bit but then it goes straight to windows 8 login.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:06 PM
  • @pedropakka RE: drivers not working - Windows 8 should run on an x220t just fine. Have you tried downloading the drivers from Lenovo's web site onto another computer and bringing them over to your x220t via USB stick or similar? Can you elaborate on which drivers are not working?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:09 PM
  • If you get another networked computer/NAS, make a Linux USB disk, boot and run it directory from the disk , see if you can get your important files (documents, link in the favorites folder, etc) transfered to another PC/NAS.

After backing your files up, make a Windows 7 USB install disk on another PC, then use it to do a clean install of WIndows 7.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:09 PM
  • The thinkvantage update.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:18 PM
  • no, that's not the problem. The real problem is that I thought that this was an application, software that runs on top of windows 7. I was stupid. Metro UI looks good, but doesn't work with a mouse very well... You guys should put some sort of notification in the installer that it will replace your running Windows, so that you will create a backup disk before install...
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:28 PM