none
[MS-CIFS] LOGOFF sequence enquiry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have used the SMB client under windows server 2003 R2 to copy file from a samba server. But there will have about 3 copy operations out of 1000 file transfer are failed.

After capturing the smb packet between windows server and the samba server, I found that the MS-SMB client send out the SMB tree_disconnect request after the SMB LOGOFF ANDX request for each file transfer. And it caused the copy problem in some cases.

I would like to know if there any other methods to reverse the sequence of these two request for each file transfer.

Thanks

Geoffrey

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• Geoffrey,

I have not heard from you until now, so I assume you were not able to provide the network trace required to provide assistance on this issue.

Due to lack of data, I will be marking this thread as answered.

Once you are able to provide the data, please send us a new request to the email address I indicated previously and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Edgar
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi geoff1207,

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will contact you soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Fail Scenario

Seq No.        Windows Server 2003                                                     Samba Server
    1.              Process 1 send out
                     Logoff AndX Request (UID=101)
    2.                                                                                    Response to Process 1
                                                                                           Logoff AndX Response (UID=101)
    --------------------------------------- Process 2 Started ----------------------------------------
    3.              Process 2 send out
                     Session Setup AndX Request (UID=0)
    4.                                                                                    Response to Process 2
                                                                                           Session Setup AndX Response (UID=101)
    5.              Process 1 send out
                     Tree Disconnect Request (UID=101)
    6.                                                                                    Response to Process 1
                                                                                           Tree Disconnect Response (UID=101)   
    --------------------------------------- Process 1 Ended ------------------------------------------
    7.              Process 2 send out
                     Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO (UID=101)
    8.                                                                                    Response to Process 2
                                                                                           Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS UNSUCCESSFUL (UID=101)   
    --------------------------------------- Process 2 Failed ---------------------------------------- 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:34 AM
  • Geoff1207,

Can you send a network trace at this address: dochelp <at> microsoft <dot> com?

Please mention this thread in your email and address the message to my attention. I will be investigating this and assist you offline.

I will posting a summary of resolution on this thread once we complete investigation.

Thanks,

Edgar

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi Edgar,

After consulting our internal control, we cannot submit the network trace directly to you. Because some server information is included in the trace.

Is there any other suggestion to us?

Thanks

Geoffrey

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Geoffrey,

The above verbatim does not allow inferring what could be the cause of the issue.

1.      If you filter SMB packets and obfuscate their IP addresses and host names, would that pass your internal controls? I am not sure how easy it could be for you to achieve this, considering that some host information is exchanged inside different types of SMB packets. Keep in mind that consistency is needed in the network trace so we can properly analyze the data.

2.      Assuming that is an option, if the issue can be reproduced in a test environment, perhaps you can setup test host names and IP addresses, etc., and then collect the SMB network trace. Would this option be possible and would it pass your internal controls?

I understand that you need to adhere to your organization’s controls.

However, in order to assist you investigate this issue, a network trace is needed.

Regards,

Edgar

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Geoffrey,

I have not heard from you until now, so I assume you were not able to provide the network trace required to provide assistance on this issue.

Due to lack of data, I will be marking this thread as answered.

Once you are able to provide the data, please send us a new request to the email address I indicated previously and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Edgar
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:49 PM