Web Services, WCF or Web API, what do you suggest? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!! 

Thanks to take your time to give suggestion about my question.

First I want to talk what my problem is, honestly I don't know what you choose, I'm working in a family business system and we have to protect the information that we keep in the database, that why I want to choose the safest technology about web services and I don't know to much about this technology, I just know the traditional Web Services and i don't want to just it, because I thing that is not what I want.

I;m using WPF because I won't want this critical information in a web site, I prefer in a desktop application where I can have the control of this computer.

So, I want to know you advice due to you have more experience in this area.

Thanks for you help.

Blessings!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:31 AM

Answers

• >>I;m using WPF because I won't want this critical information in a web site, I prefer in a desktop application where I can have the control of this
    computer.

Then you should use neither of a web services, WCF service or a Web API. These are typically being deployed as remote services to which your WPF client application connects over the internet or a local network. If you want to store the information on the same local computer where your WPF application runs, there is no need to use a service at all. Then you might as well keep the information in a file on the file system or in a local in-process database such as for example SQLite: http://blog.tigrangasparian.com/2012/02/09/getting-started-with-sqlite-in-c-part-one/

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:21 AM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:53 AM
  • I;m using WPF because I won't want this critical information in a web site, I prefer in a desktop application where I can have the control of this computer.

Well as mentioned, you don't need a Web based solution with WPF for this if this solution with DB is running locally on a single machine.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Saúl Díaz,

If you have any develop experiences of ASP.NET MVC, I suggest you use ASP.NET Web API. Because it is very easy to study and use ASP.NET Web API if you are familiar with ASP.NET MVC.

>>"I want to choose the safest technology about web services and I don't know to much about this technology"

ASP.NET Web API provide multi ways to protect your data. You could get started with web service security by following tutorial.

Secure a Web API with Individual Accounts and Local Login in ASP.NET Web API

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 19, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Hi Saúl Díaz,

If you have any develop experiences of ASP.NET MVC, I suggest you use ASP.NET Web API. Because it is very easy to study and use ASP.NET Web API if you are familiar with ASP.NET MVC.

>>"I want to choose the safest technology about web services and I don't know to much about this technology"

ASP.NET Web API provide multi ways to protect your data. You could get started with web service security by following tutorial.

Secure a Web API with Individual Accounts and Local Login in ASP.NET Web API

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Li Wang thanks for you answer and I have a little experience with ASP.NET MVC, so thanks for you time and the link, I will start to work hard in it.

Blessing!!!

Friday, August 19, 2016 11:51 PM
  • >>I;m using WPF because I won't want this critical information in a web site, I prefer in a desktop application where I can have the control of this
    computer.

Then you should use neither of a web services, WCF service or a Web API. These are typically being deployed as remote services to which your WPF client application connects over the internet or a local network. If you want to store the information on the same local computer where your WPF application runs, there is no need to use a service at all. Then you might as well keep the information in a file on the file system or in a local in-process database such as for example SQLite: http://blog.tigrangasparian.com/2012/02/09/getting-started-with-sqlite-in-c-part-one/

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:53 AM
  • I;m using WPF because I won't want this critical information in a web site, I prefer in a desktop application where I can have the control of this computer.

Well as mentioned, you don't need a Web based solution with WPF for this if this solution with DB is running locally on a single machine.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:32 PM