none
DoFactory Vs. Ms ELib and SCSF RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi ,

Anybody know what is the difference DoFactory and MS Libaries such as SCSF,ELib,WCF,WPF.....

For SA, which way should follow?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 11:17 AM

Answers

• Okay, since nobody else has replied, I'll give this one a shot, and I'm sure that you could have done some web searches to find these things out, but anyway, here's the scoop.

DoFactory is a resource that you would use to find out about software patterns.
    Smart Client Software Factory is a guidance package that allows you to create smart client applications, often using best practice such as the patterns that you might find at dofactory.
    Enterprise library is a library to give you specific functionality, such as exception handling, logging, data access and so on to use in enterprise applications, they are generalized designs that you might customize for your speicific needs.
    WCF is Windows Communication Foundation, and is a library used to communicate between subsystems and applications, such as remoting, web services and so on.
    WPF is windows presentation foundation, and is a technology that allow the separation of presentation code from logic.

For architecture you may use all of these things and many more besides.  It really depends upon the situation, the requirements, the environment and so on.  The bigger the list of technologies and approaches, the more options you have to navigate through and decide on the pros and cons.  From the perspective of becoming an architect, you should familiarise yourself with more than just what these things do, you really need to use them to be able to descriminate which one of these you should be using in a particular scenario.

Good luck,

Martin Platt.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:33 PM

All replies

• Okay, since nobody else has replied, I'll give this one a shot, and I'm sure that you could have done some web searches to find these things out, but anyway, here's the scoop.

DoFactory is a resource that you would use to find out about software patterns.
    Smart Client Software Factory is a guidance package that allows you to create smart client applications, often using best practice such as the patterns that you might find at dofactory.
    Enterprise library is a library to give you specific functionality, such as exception handling, logging, data access and so on to use in enterprise applications, they are generalized designs that you might customize for your speicific needs.
    WCF is Windows Communication Foundation, and is a library used to communicate between subsystems and applications, such as remoting, web services and so on.
    WPF is windows presentation foundation, and is a technology that allow the separation of presentation code from logic.

For architecture you may use all of these things and many more besides.  It really depends upon the situation, the requirements, the environment and so on.  The bigger the list of technologies and approaches, the more options you have to navigate through and decide on the pros and cons.  From the perspective of becoming an architect, you should familiarise yourself with more than just what these things do, you really need to use them to be able to descriminate which one of these you should be using in a particular scenario.

Good luck,

Martin Platt.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Adding onto Martin's comments

DoFactory is an implementation pattern

EntLib address cross-cutting technologies every enterprise application would need so MS decided to build one for each block using known best practices, so an enterprise customer dont have to do it on their own for each application. 

EntLib itself uses one or many of the DoFactory patterns to implement the code itself, like observor pattern.

WCF helps separating logical layers into physical layers, by enabling inter-process communcation using set of libraries that abstracts network programming, soap, etc., into a common library.

WPF, is a new way to build user interface for applications (tradionally you may have used Win Forms and ASP.NET)

WPF windows application used for desktop and WPF browser based app for ASP.NET.  Personally, I would recommend looking at WPF for desktop application build.  Dont see WPF in place of ASP.NET yet...

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

DoFactory also can create web service application. MS also has Web Service Software Factory

How is your own opinion regarding the DoFactory. Sometime I am very confusing to choose right trend.

regards,

Zaw

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:18 AM
  • I prefer to use WSSF Vs DoFactory.  Mainly because WSSF moves along with WCF and .NET Framework updates almost parallely compared to dofactory.

On the other hand, dofactory is lightweight compared to wssf.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:07 PM