none
GPS Intermediat Driver for Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I wrote an application in C++ for Windows Mobile which uses the GPS Intermediat Driver (gpsapi.dll) to readaut the GPS device. Now i have to bring that application to a nootbook with Windows XP.
    Does anybody know if there is a Win32 version of the  GPS Intermediat Driver (gpsapi.dll) ?
    (No, it's not possible to use .NET stuff...)
    Thanks for answers!

SunnyApril
    Friday, May 14, 2010 8:42 AM

All replies

• The first version of Windows that supports GPS is Windows 7 via the "Sensors and Location API" (and it works nothing like the GPS ID).for XP you will need to open the com port and parse the NMEA sentences. You can find plenty of code online where people have already done this.
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Hi Joel,

thanks for your answer! I know how to read and handle NMEA sentences. But my goal was to find a unique solution for Win32 and WinMobile, out of the box. GPS Api seems to be just one more isolated application, it's a shame!

SunnyApril

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:10 AM
  • I wouldn't call it an "isolated application." Partially because the "Sensor and Locations APIs" are not applications (they can't do anything by themselves) and partially because some form of the location portion of that API exists in managed form on Windows Phone 7.

In my applications I never allow the apps to communicate directly with the GPS hardware. I've got an interface (ILocationProvider) to serve up the relevant data  along with implementations of the interface that use GPS, cell tower location, and Wi-Fi location.  In some cases I have a fourth ILocationProvider implementation that will also try to get location data from all of these and return the location from the one that has highest precision. So when a GPS signal is lost it will automatically return Wi-Fi based location. When that is lost it will automatically fall back on cell tower location.

Doing things this way the differences in how one gets location on Windows Mobile or a Windows Desktop have no impact on my applications logic. I just need a different location provider implementation but the rest of the code is the same.

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Getting location data from different sources seems to be a good approach! How does this work?  Please can you point me to "Wi-Fi location" and "cell tower location"

Thanks in advance!

SunnyApril

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hello there.

The GPSApi is only in PPC. I also use it there. But under Windows, you either have to access the port directly or use my generic driver (see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssensorandlocationplatform/thread/85dc2b35-7306-4fa7-8507-332ec5b6a9ee) that will provide you the ISensor and ILocation interfaces.

Michael
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:59 PM