none
VS2010Pro not finding needed core files and auto-download fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been handed the code for an older VB program built in VS2010Pro to update. I'm not an experienced VB or .NET programmer (been working almost exclusively in TP/Delphi for 30+ years) and haven't worked in any Microsoft development platform since the late 90's, so the vagaries of VS .NET builds are a bit of a mystery to me.

Trying to build, the code compiles successfully, but when run in the debugger, it throws an error dlg at startup about an assembly load fail, and the IDE displays a msg in the bottom status bar: "Downloading source code from" and a long URL path to WindowsFormsApplicationBase.vb. Closing the error dialog shows a "No Source Available" screen with the call stack location and a list of locations (including a "f:\dd..." location that doesn't exist locally and I assume is an attempt at a source-control lookup) and the source server reference, and a final "The debugger could not locate the source file" message.

So, the questions:

1) I've tried a raft of ways to locate this file online, without success. From what I am seeing, though, there are a bunch of other people in this exact same situation, and no one is getting an answer, from MS or any other source. Can someone who has this file and its sisters PLEASE make them available???

2) The MS source server seems to not work. Has MS moved this stuff? If so, how do I tell VS2010Pro to look in the new location?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What version of the .NET Framework is being targeted (look under project properties) e.g. 2.5, 3.5?

What version of Windows was the app originally written for e.g. Windows 7 etc ?

Some things to try, make a backup of the program (meaning the entire solution) to keep it safe.

Try via Windows Explorer with Visual Studio closed to remove the obj folder under the project folder. Reopen Visual Studio, build then run the project, does it still throw an exception?

Try updating the .NET Framework to the highest version available, buld/run, does the app throw an exception?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:07 PM