Auto Scale Set - Change image - OperationNotAllowed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i've setup a resourcegroup and a scale-set, granting access to a local-network through funneling aswell. The resourcegroup and scale-set was created through the management portal, following the wizards for the scale-set instance aswell (Ubuntu 16.04), instance size etc.

Now, i've created an image and want to upgrade the Scale Set instances. The image is located at another resource-group solely for images, as far as i understand this aint a problem.

I then run the following command through PowerShell:

$newImageReference = "/subscriptions/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/resourceGroups/ImageResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Compute/images/xxxxAutoScaleImage1_0"

$vmss.virtualMachineProfile.storageProfile.imageReference.id = $newImageReference

Update-AzureRmVmss -ResourceGroupName $rgname -Name $vmssname -VirtualMachineScaleSet $vmss

Which results in:

Update-AzureRmVmss : The Image type for a Virtual Machine Scale Set may not be changed.
    ErrorCode: OperationNotAllowed
    ErrorMessage: The Image type for a Virtual Machine Scale Set may not be changed.
    StatusCode: 409
    ReasonPhrase: Conflict
    OperationID : 247092cf-1a56-4f87-adee-37bd8941f667
    At line:1 char:1
    + Update-AzureRmVmss -ResourceGroupName $rgname -Name $vmssname -Virtua ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Update-AzureRmVmss], ComputeCloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Compute.Common.ComputeCloudException,Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Compute.Automation.UpdateAzureRmVmss

How am i supposed to actually change and set the image for my scale-set? It doesent seem rational if i am required to re-setup my ressource group, load-balancer, network-layer etc. etc. etc. simply to change image on the scale-set?

Best and thanks in advance

• Edited by JonasMers Friday, October 27, 2017 10:33 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hello Jonas,

Unfortunately, Updating the image in a Scale-Set and Auto Scale-Sets are not yet supported in ASDK.

We are looking forward to this functionality in a future release of Azure Stack.

To expedite the delivery of this functionality, please leave a suggestion and Vote in User Voice and  ‘How can we Improve Azure Stack’ - http://aka.ms/AzureStack/Feedback

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Friday, October 27, 2017 6:53 PM