how to find missing code behind file RRS feed

• Question

• I've inhereted some quite sophisticated InfoPath 2007 forms that utalize codebehind. I say this on some faith since I cannot locate any of the codebehind info.

I have buttons that call for rules and code. If I punch the rules up I can see them,  but if I try the same with the code button, I'm told to browse for it.

The functions being used cannot be accounted for merely with the rules I find. therefore I conclude that I'm missing the code behind VSTA stuff.

Most of the forms in question were published as manager approved forms into SharePoint 2007, and the source xsl files are not available.

Given that list of confining circumstances, anybody have a suggestion on how to find the missing codebehind code?

Thanks for any assisantce!

/Robin

Robin
    Friday, June 17, 2011 7:57 PM

Answers

• The source files are on the person's desktop that created them unless that person chose to save the projects somewhere.  Where is the person who created all of these?  that person has your projects.  InfoPath just stores the DLLs in the XSN.  You can break it apart by exporting to source files, but you won't have the source code.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, June 27, 2011 5:53 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

• The source files are on the person's desktop that created them unless that person chose to save the projects somewhere.  Where is the person who created all of these?  that person has your projects.  InfoPath just stores the DLLs in the XSN.  You can break it apart by exporting to source files, but you won't have the source code.
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, June 27, 2011 5:53 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:52 PM
  • person who created is long gone.

I'm sortof hoping there is a way to reverse publish an admin approved fully trusted form, so that I can design it again, with dll's intact.

as always, thanks for the input Clayton. You have done great work for the community, and I admire it!

/Robin

Robin
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:25 PM
  • How can that person leave without handing over the source code?  Sounds like a huge mistake by someone somewhere at some time before you inherited the issue.

The DLLs are in the XSNs.  That's all you can get.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:42 PM
  • yup to "huge mistake".

The boundings of this issue reveal a technical hole in the architecture it seems to me. It would be nice of the technology that facilitates managing Administrator approved form templates had an export function.

SPD reveals the forms, but copy in designer only copies the path not the files.

The rub in this equation is that the codebehind is a click event on a submit button that does some checking for among other things that a name value is not blank. If blank the code does not submit and drops to bold red conditional formatted (hidden) text reminding the user to enter their name.

If I change the submit button to do a simple submit rather than executing the code (which I can't find) it works, but allows submission without name.

any way, I'm resolved to recoding this. It is something I need to learn how to do anyway. Thanks for sharing what you have, it helps to define tasks required.

/Robin

Robin
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:32 PM