none
Create Editable/Actionable PDF from Excel VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have a PDF template developed using LifeCycle Designer which includes text fields, signature tags and actions depending on what the user enters in the text fields.

Ideally I would like to write directly from VBA the text fields of this PDF. It is password protected and I have the password, but I have googled forever and cannot locate code that can write to the xml of the PDF or even write to the 'text fields' of the PDF.

If the above cannot be accomplished, I am all for writing an Excel VBA program to create the pdf (which I have already), but the problem is placing the signature tags and code behind some of the text fields into the PDF. Anyway to do this?

If not either of the two above, in general what is the best way to accomplish my objective of inserting 10 variables into a PDF (easy) but also adding signature tabs and actionable items to PDF?

(when I say actionable items, for example, someone 'signs' their box within the PDF, then a button automatically appears that states 'Click here to Email' - otherwise that button is hidden until someone signs it.

thanks a ton,

ZeroTilt

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Zero,

Based on your description, it seems you want to operate PDF file. As far as I know, there is no Excel object model could achieve this. For achieving your requirement with VBA code, I would move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=isvvba

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:23 AM
  • I have used Acrobat Professional  ($$$) to manipulate PDFs.  I used for mostly extracting information but I remember setting a few fields.  You can Bing/Google "AcroExch.App". 

If you want to use C# or VB.NET there is a free library for manipulating PDFs.  I have never used it.  If you want to do it from Excel you could use VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) along with the following library (free).  As far as I know it doesn't support Digital Signatures.

Clown

BTW, I do something very similar to what you describe using a template with Word/VBA and then create a PDF and email.

• Edited by mogulman52 Saturday, November 7, 2015 2:55 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 2:35 PM