C# MAPI Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing a C# program that makes use of MAPI. I know I should use a different language for this, but I was told to use .NET. The application will be used to send emails under an account different from the logged in user. I have the application running, but I am having a couple of problems logging in.

I can log in just fine using the current user account, but when I try to log in to a dedicated account, the mail is still sent from the current user account. My login code follows:

private bool Logon()
        {
            if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(username) || String.IsNullOrEmpty(password))
            {
                error = MAPILogon(WinHandle, null, null, 0, 0, ref session);
                Logging.Log("Logged in using credentials for the current user.");
            }
            else
                error = MAPILogon(WinHandle, username, password, 0, 0, ref session);

if (error != 0)
                error = MAPILogon(WinHandle, null, null, MapiLogonUI, 0, ref session);

return error == 0;
        }

[DllImport("MAPI32.DLL", CharSet = CharSet.Ansi)]
        private static extern int MAPILogon(IntPtr hwnd, string profileName, string password, 
            int flag, int rsv, ref IntPtr session);

[DllImport("MAPI32.DLL")]
        private static extern int MAPISendMail(IntPtr session, IntPtr hwnd, MapiMessage message, int flag, int rsv);

I have added a null terminator to the username and password ("\0") so it seems like I should be able to log in as a different user.

I tried closing my Outlook and running the application and it said that it sent the message correctly, but froze on closing. Outlook would no longer open, and eventually I rebooted my computer. Does Outlook have to be open to use MAPI controls?

I have read that the login is for a profile name rather than a username. Is this a Windows Profile? My understanding is that Exchange uses accounts.

Finally, when the message is sent from the default profile, I get a confirmation that "A program is trying to send an e-mail message on your behalf." Since this app may be sending several messages a day, I don't want the user to have to keep pressing Allow. Is there a way to suppress this message programatically or as an Outlook or Exchange Server configuration?

My dev environment is Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, but this needs to work in all environments. As you can see above, I am using simple MAPI. I've done some testing with Extended MAPI, but keep getting a message saying that there is no default mail client.

I appreciate any insights people may have.

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:40 PM

All replies

• You are using Simple MAPI. Extended MAPI cannot be used from .Net languages.

The profile name is the name of the profile as specified in Control Panel | Mail | Show Profiles.

Why not use the Outlook Object Model?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.4 is now available!

Monday, December 3, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Thank you for your response Dmitry. I appreciate the information you gave me on the login.

I am relatively new to working with mail, and have never done anything with MAPI. We currently have a pre-existing application that will send mail through SMTP, but one customer says that he will only allow access through MAPI. This is why I am not using Outlook Object Model.

I need to be able to allow a user, whether they are logged in to the Exchange server or just a Windows account, to send an email through a different profile. All mail from the company will be sent through the same account, which will be completely automated.

Again, thank you all for any assistance. I have spent the last couple of days searching for information that would allow me to log in to Exchange as a different user and suppress the access warning messages, and have had little luck

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Does your customer mean Simple MAPI or Extended MAPI? What is the basis for that requirement?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Thank you again for your response Dimitry!

The customer did not specify simple or extended, so I assume either would do. I am not in contact with the customer, but I can only assume that his reason for wanting to use MAPI has something to do with some security benefit or perceived benefit.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Simple and Extended MAPi have nothing in common besides having "MAPI" in their names...

Can you find out what and why exactly the customer wants?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:51 PM