none
migrating list to another list in different site RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I have two lists in two different sp sites (wss 3.0).  They need to be merged together; at the moment they do not have the exact same columns, but list1 can be changed to match list2.  I need to move list1 into list2.  All of the rows also have a document associated with them.

What I planned to do was move the documents over with explorer view or SP Designer and then move the associated rows over with the data view in the list after I changed the rows to match.  Similar to what is described here (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/e6f5844f-7051-424f-ad5d-538739dc910c).  However I am not able to create a new row, I have the option to create a new row but one does not get created.

I can save the list as a template, but I cannot save the content with it because it exceeds the size limitations.

If someone has a better way to do this I am all ears.  Also side note the sites are on the same web app, and same content database.

Thanks,
    Hyde

wss 3.0 | sql 2005

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

• Edited by Hyde_311 Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:35 PM added more info
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I just wanted to add that in order to get around the template size restraints I upped the size to 500 mb and I am still over (about 3 times that).

STSADM Command in case someone else can use it:
    stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname max-template-document-size -propertyvalue 50000000

Thanks,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
    • Edited by Hyde_311 Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:11 PM added more info
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:03 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:10 PM
  • I found this solution which requires the ability to run on the WFE, a general knowledge of VS, and C#.  It worked very well.

http://www.law.com/jsp/lawtechnologynews/PubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1202443237483&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Thanks,
    Hyde

• Edited by Hyde_311 Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:21 PM formatting
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:20 PM
  • I had used earlier the content deployment wizard. It is available on codeplex and it solved similar purpose. 

http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, April 15, 2011 9:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:32 PM