none
Global Address List sync with active directory RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

i have exchange 2007 and active directory 2008 R2; when i search on specific user on the global address list from microsoft outlook i cant found it, this user is non exchange mailbox user.

how can i find all contacts details from active directory on the GAl, in otherwords how can i sync the GAL from Active directory itself.

many thanks

• Edited by ziad Huneiti Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:48 PM
    • Changed type ziad Huneiti Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:57 AM

All replies

• The Global Address List (GAL) in Exchange 2007 is Active Directory (AD). It pulls the data directly from AD assuming the object in question (contact in your instance) has the correct Exchange-specific attributes, like msexchshowinaddressbook.  If you have an Active Directory Contact object that you cannot see in the Global Address List, I would recommend looking at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997138(v=exchg.80).aspx to get the mail contact to show up in your GAL.

Good luck

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:25 PM
  • In  addition to what DaDoungInc suggested, ensure that the user is not hidden from the address list.

CK

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:58 PM
  • If you are using Outlook in cached mode - which is default you are using Offline Address Book (OAB). So if you added a user to exchange it will be shown in GAL when Exchange will generate/update it (which AFAIR happens once per day at night on Exchange 2007). secondly it has to be downloaded by Outlook client. Both processes can be forced to run on request.

If you have Outlook in online mode (or by use of OWA) your user should appear immediately after creating. If user/contact desont appear the check above mentioned answers.

Regards,

Greg.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:53 PM
  • GAL build up on the basis of data in AD. If the user's attributes are setup correctly for exchange then the user will be shown in GAL.. You can manually update the GAL by using EMS and download the updated GAL in outlook to check if  you are able to find that user. You can also setup mail enabled users in your AD. Thanks.

Kindly mark as answer if found helpful. Thanks.

Regards, Riaz Javed Butt Consultant Microsoft Professional Services MCITP, MCITP (Exchange), MCSE: Messaging, MCITP Office 365 | msexchgeek.wordpress.com

• Edited by RjButtMVP Monday, April 7, 2014 11:41 AM added Blog URL
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:02 PM
  • hi all

thank you for your help and cooperation; let me to explain my problem again and i want to simple it as following:

1- i have exchange server with 500 mailbox users; all of them displayed on the GAL without any problem.

2- i have 1500 user account in active directory; 500 users have mailbox exchnage as the point number 1.

3- i want to displaying the remaining accounts that not have exchange mailbox to the GAL Directly.

4- i want to show any new account in the active directory( without exchange mailbox) to the GAl Directly.

thank you in advance.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:29 AM
  • In order to get user shown in the GAL the user have to have e-mail address - so it have to be either a contact user( as you already have those users in AD - they can't become contacts) or  mail enabled contact in exchange The reason behind is that when you present user in outlook 90% of users will attempt to e-mail those users.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:38 PM
  • If you don't want to create mailboxes for these users then you need to mail enable them to appear in the GAL. (a mail enabled user is different to a mailbox user)

How to Create a New Mail-Enabled User
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125258(v=exchg.80).aspx

CK

• Proposed as answer by CanKILIC Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Thank you so much CanKILIK, your post is very helpfull.

can i shared with you the following point after i followed up your solution:

1- the new mail enabled user shown on GAL directly ( which is the needed for me) and on some machines shows under the all user list instead of GAl; i need to show all new mail enabled user under the GAL Only.

2- is there anyway to update the GAL direct without do this step in the future?

Thanks again.

with all my best regards

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:42 AM
  • What's the update?

Kindly mark this post as answer to close the post if your question is being answered. Thanks.

Regards, Riaz Javed Butt Consultant Microsoft Professional Services MCITP, MCITP (Exchange), MCSE: Messaging, MCITP Office 365

Monday, April 7, 2014 11:42 AM
  • Any update please?

Regards, Riaz Javed Butt Consultant Microsoft Professional Services MCITP, MCITP (Exchange), MCSE: Messaging, MCITP Office 365 | msexchgeek.wordpress.com

• Edited by RjButtMVP Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:22 PM
  • thanks Rijaz for followup; i do the enable mail user on the exchange and shown on the GAL after the updating of the GAL.

the only thing not working, how can i update the above step automatically.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:58 AM
  • you want to automatically update your Address book? well it's an automatic process and you need to check the time settings of your GAL update in OAB virtual directory. Thanks.

Regards, Riaz Javed Butt Consultant Microsoft Professional Services MCITP, MCITP (Exchange), MCSE: Messaging, MCITP Office 365

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:49 AM
  • What's the update? Kindly mark this as answer if your questions are being answered. Thanks.

• Edited by RjButtMVP Friday, April 18, 2014 11:53 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 11:53 AM