Visual Studio 2010 Academic version RRS feed

• Question

• Up to now I have been using VB 2010 Express but am considering the need to move to Visual Studio Pro 2010 Eng Ae ( Academic version with 1-License cse-00525 ) for the additional tools in the Pro version.

Can I install the Academic version package on both my Desktop and Laptop machines ? .

Am I allowed to distribute programs developed free of any charge to students ? .

Will my files in the Project Folder of VB 2010 Express transfer without any change to Visual Studio ? .

Can I safely run Visual Studio Pro 2010 and Visual Basic 2010 Express on the same machines for development purposes until I feel sure about the Studio version ? .

Regards

Doug.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:40 PM

Answers

• Can I install the Academic version package on both my Desktop and Laptop machines ?

I believe you can, but the product EULA will tell you. Or, contact your local Microsoft office for licensing information.

Am I allowed to distribute programs developed free of any charge to students ?

Yes.

Will my files in the Project Folder of VB 2010 Express transfer without any change to Visual Studio ?

Yes.

Can I safely run Visual Studio Pro 2010 and Visual Basic 2010 Express on the same machines for development purposes until I feel sure about the Studio version ?

Yes, per other references I've seen in the forums. I've never tried it myself, as having a "better" VS edition obviates the need for Experss.

FWIW, the Academic VS 2010 Professional is identical in function/features to the nonacademic Professional Edition.

• Edited by pvdg42 Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doug_ Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:09 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:42 PM