Parition 20 GB

Question

• Hi so I installed Windows 8 on a 20 GB partition I made from my secondary hard drive which is 500 GB. I have installed windows 8 and its runs flawlessly yet i seem to be running out of space. Is there a way I can expand this space?

Thanks.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• A few things you can try:
    1. Run Disk Cleanup.
    2. If you installed any programs on this 20 GB partition, uninstall them and reinstall on another partition.
    3. Lower the maximum disk space allowed for system restore or even turn off system restore and delete all restore points (Control panel, System, System protection, Configure).
    4. If you don't use hibernation, you can get rid of hiberfil.sys, which usually takes up several GB. To do it, run cmd as administrator and enter "powercfg -h off" (not sure if it still works in windows 8 though).

You can also extend a partition, but then you should have some unallocated space on your hard drive. Run diskmgmt.msc, right click on your 20 GB partition and choose Extend Volume.

• Edited by nick_12345 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:03 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:16 PM
  • You could try this article http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2670-partition-volume-extend.html
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:35 PM
  • In the search of charms type Disk Management.. Create format disk partitions will come up under the Settings. Just delete some other partition to create empty space to extend this one.

Monday, October 10, 2011 6:54 PM