none
Can't connect from MS PowerApps to Azure SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• From PowerApps - create connection, I get: Credentials are missing or not valid. inner exception: The credentials provided for the SQL source are invalid.

1) Created azure trial account

2) Created sql server database in azure

3) Specified server name, database name, admin username/password

4) Created test table with data, can query from within azure

5) Created firewall rule to open from 0.0.0 to 255.255.255; Created firewall rules for all PowerApp ip addresses I could find (~10 ranges found in some post).

5) I am on a mac, so I don't have SSMS to test the connection

6) I tried connecting from RazorSQL from mac - seems to see db server, but cannot authenticate

7) I tried connecting from IntelliJ Idea 19.2 with azure plugin, creating datasource to azure - seems to see db server, but cannot authenticate.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:15 PM

Answers

• Thank you for that response.

The Azure Data Studio find was a big take-away for me from your response; thank you.

I got the connectivity issued solved by removing the leading space in the db name that I had accidentally added.  I deleted the db and created a new one without that space and all connectivity started to work as expected.

Thank you

• Marked as answer by bradadams100 Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM
    • Edited by bradadams100 Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM

All replies

• You can use Azure Data Studio, available for Linux and MacOS, to connect with your Azure SQL Database instance.

Get Azure Data Studio for macOS (Link).

• Supported MacOS version are 10.12 and 10.13.

Also remember, it is your public IP Address from the client that needs to be added to the allow connection list. Adding an entire range is okay for testing but not recommended once you resolve your authentication issue. 

Enabling the Allow Azure services to connect functionality allows all trusted Azure services to connect to your database without any additional network configuration. Credential challenge is still in place but it makes communication with other Azure Services easier to establish. You can white list specific data center IPs, if you wish to go that route.

There is also a connection string blade that can be found in the Azure Portal for the specific database you are attempting to connect with, which has multiple SQL Auth examples. 

Please let us know if you have additional questions, or still have issues.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:18 AM
  • Thank you for that response.

The Azure Data Studio find was a big take-away for me from your response; thank you.

I got the connectivity issued solved by removing the leading space in the db name that I had accidentally added.  I deleted the db and created a new one without that space and all connectivity started to work as expected.

Thank you

• Marked as answer by bradadams100 Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM
    • Edited by bradadams100 Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:33 PM