What are the required .NET CLR versions? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP SP2 Media Center 2004  with  IE6
    I have the following versions of .NET CLR installed: 1.0.3705  1.1.4322  2.0.50727  3.0.4506.2152  3.5.30729
    It has been stated that my User Agent Post Platform string is too long and causes IE 53 errors when doing  Help  About Int Exp.  One solution to this is to remove one of the .NET CLR entries from the string. Can I safely remove any one of the above .NET CLR strings safely, or do I need to reference them all in the registry User Agent Post Platform string? Thanks.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply and clarification.

I'm not quite familiar with IE. Sorry for that!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. This might not the direct answer to your question. However, for IE issue, I think that you might try IE community to get more useful help there.

Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for your post.

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.
    It seems that your concern refers to .NET Framework removal.

Referring to removal of any the versions of the .NET Framework, it depends on the applications and OS that are ran on your PC.

For applications, if you have some application based on any .NET Framework on your PC, you cannot remove it because it is applied to support the application.
    For OS, here is a useful blog that shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of OS. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

For your concern, since your issue is related to IE on Windows XP, you could post your thread on Windows XP forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Thanks Yichun, Although this started out to be an IE problem, research led me to looking at the User Agent Post Platform string in the registry. This entry had the .NET CLR versions listed that were installed on my machine. I would not remove any installed  .NET frameworks. I have read the .NET CLR explanations. I opted to remove one of the .NET CLR references from the string, and this fixed my IE error 53 and Flash player problems. The problem was not with the .NET frameworks installed, but only to the references in the User agent string. This is a MS windows problem, not exclusive to XP, but also to Vista. Don't know about Win 7. Thanks again for your help.
    Mike
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply and clarification.

I'm not quite familiar with IE. Sorry for that!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. This might not the direct answer to your question. However, for IE issue, I think that you might try IE community to get more useful help there.

Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:14 AM