none
Events Stop working after upgrades or updates to Microsoft Office RRS feed

• Question

•  have a rather small database with only two tables, Four Forms, four queries and only one report.  The tables however are 13,000 records and 7,000 records.

One form has many events and several Command Buttons  for updating medical procedures performed.
    There are only 13 stand alone computers in the world with this database.  None are permitted on the Internet or Network.  I have an old system because I have been requested to volunteer as I wrote this application many years ago.
    The events only work on Access 2003 and eatlier, they have never worked on 2007 or 2010.  

I have put the database into my trusted files file.   They tell me to split the database but it may seem crazy but I do not know how, with so few tables and programs.

If someone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Len  
    Friday, September 15, 2017 2:13 PM

Answers

• One more thought.  What about adding a breakpoint at the very first line of your procedure and clicking on the button to see if the code is triggered at all.  Based on what you've described it is doubtful, but it is a quick and easy test just to validate.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

• Marked as answer by VDSV Friday, October 27, 2017 12:28 PM
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:21 AM
  • Hi Len,

I am glad your original issue has been resolved, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close original issue.

For this new issue, you could post a new thread, then we could focus on this new issue.

Regards,

Tony

Help each other

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:31 AM

All replies

• On all of my databases Access 2007 and Access 2010 command Buttons to execute calculations do not work.  I put the database in a trusted file but still does not work.  What else do I have to do?
    Friday, September 8, 2017 7:38 PM
  • Does any other code work? If not, do you see a yellow banner at the top with a button labeled "Enable Content"?
    Friday, September 8, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.

No event fires the VBA code.  Even if I mark the VBA to stop at that instruction it does not stop there, it just ignores everything on all programs in all databases.  There are no messages of any kind.  There is no yellow banner of any kind.

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Can you execute a simple function in the Immediate Window? For example, try:

?Date()

If nothing happens, then the content of your database is disabled. If so, either the file is not in a Trusted Location or your network policy has disabled VBA execution (somehow).

Just a thought...

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:58 PM
  • No.  I even built a new database from scratch, created a simple table and form with one button and it still does not work.
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 3:42 PM
  • For testing purposes, try setting the Macro security to the lowest setting. Create a new button to run a simple command like opening an other form. If it works that would probably mean the database is NOT in a trusted location.

Also, check the trusted folder location. If it is on a network you have to also check the box to allow network folders as trusted. If it is a sub folder of a trusted location make sure you have allowed sub folders.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Sunday, September 10, 2017 6:26 PM
  • No.  I even built a new database from scratch, created a simple table and form with one button and it still does not work.

Okay, as I said above, the content of your database is not enabled. If you did not see a yellow banner with a button to enable content, then there must be some network policy preventing VBA code to execute on your company machines.

Are you using a company computer? If so, have you asked your IT department if they can help?

Sunday, September 10, 2017 8:43 PM
  • I have to resubmit this problem, because I keep getting unexpected error messages.

I have not programmed for five years since I retired, so I am a little rusty at some of the upgrades.

Trying to get events to works after Microsoft Updates.

Here is the last question I asked:

Microsoft did some kind of update with software that the VA created for physically disabled veterans.  As I understand it, it has not worked for over five years.

I was pretty good at this five years ago, but I am retired now and a lot of people are asking me to help. 

So it is kind of a learning curve, why is is happening on the VA computers and no where else is a complete mystery.

I have put the database into a Trusted Location file.

We would appreciate any new ideas.

Thanks

Monday, September 11, 2017 12:43 PM
  • If all the events don't work, then I still suspect an issue with the Trusted Location.

Is your database split?  If so, the Trusted Location needs to be set for the folder in which the front-end resides when the program is run.

What version of Access are you running?
    Is your Acccess installation fully updated?

When you open the database do you see a yellow bar stating that the content has been disabled, with an enable button by any chance?

If you go into the VBE (VBA editor) and check the references (Tools -> References ...) are any marked as MISSING?
    Does your VBA project compile (Debug -> Compile ) without errors?

Do you receive any error messages?

Monday, September 11, 2017 1:15 PM
  • The Database is not split.

I do not see a yellow bar.

From what I can tee there are none missing.

Visual Basic for Applications is checked.

Microsoft Access 12.0 Object Library is checked.

Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library is Checked.

OLE Automation is Checked

Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications extensiblety is checked.

I am not sure as to how to split it because there are a lot of medical terms I am not familiar with.

It was failing on 2007 and they never got it to work.  Now it is failing on both 2007 and 2010.

The IT Department from the American Medical Association has had several recommendations

Go back to Windows Vista and reinstall Access 2003 or go to IBM, they have had zero problems with upgrades.

From what I remember everything looks good.

It may take me weeks to split the database, because there are 32,000 medical diagnostics for those wounded in military conflicts and providing links would take a very long time.

There is a different medical procedure for each diagnostic code.

Thanks for helping out.

Monday, September 11, 2017 2:21 PM
  • I don't think you understand what "splitting" an ACCESS databas is. Here is an explanation.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Split-an-Access-database-3015ad18-a3a1-4e9c-a7f3-51b1d73498cc?CorrelationId=f2ac0241-f921-460e-aef5-1f34c4c67847&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=HA010342026

It has nothing to do with any individual fields within tables. You don't split the data tables. It is simply the way ACCESS allows multiple users at the same time to use the database.

Further, if it's been unusable for 5 years under version 2007, it's no wonder it doesn't work under 2010 either. Are you saying the VA people wish to convert this database to version 2010 and make it usable again? If so:

1. If you haven't already done so, you will need to properly convert the 2007 database file to version 2010. https://www.thoughtco.com/convert-database-to-access-2010-format-1019939
    2. Split the database file into Front-end and Back-end files as described in the article above.
    3. Move the Back-end file to a shared-drive on their server.
    4. Open the Front-end file by using the SHIFT + ENTER keys. This will bypass any VBA code or macros used when opening the new version of the database.
    5. Reconnect the Front-end file with the Back-end file on the shared drive, noting connection errors, if any.
    6. Once you have completed steps 1-5, open the VBA code editor (Alt+F11) and compile any code. You didn't say if VBA was used or macros are used, or both or none.
    7. Identify specific code errors or any other errors you encounter and make note of when they occur.
    8. Make sure every user has version 2010 or above on their computer AND has their own copy of the final de-bugged Front-end file on their computer.

Once you've converted, split and opened the database the first time and note any errors encountered, then someone in this forum can help with any specific concerns, but until you get the ACCESS environment issues properly addressed and the database converted, and specific errors or problems identified, it is very difficult for anyone to help you with such very general questions.

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:16 PM
  • Hello,

>> I even built a new database from scratch, created a simple table and form with one button and it still does not work.

What version do you use to create the new database? Could you run macros? Does the computer in the domain? Do you test the same database on other machines? 

>>It was failing on 2007 and they never got it to work.  Now it is failing on both 2007 and 2010

Is this database created by Office 2003? Do you try to create a simple database using 2003 and then open using 2007/2010?  The support for Office 2003 has been ended and we don't have the application to test, could you please share a database created by Access 2003 here? You could upload it into OneDrive and share the link here.

Do you check the Office update for 2007 and 2010? If you uninstall recent updates, would the issue be fixed?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Hi Len,

Trusted Locations are only applicable to Access 2007 and newer versions. Did you say your database functions never worked if using 2007 and later versions? If so, why is that?

To "split" a database into a front end and back end, there is a Wizard for it. Otherwise, to do it manually, you can try the following steps:

1. Make a copy of the database file and add _BE to its filename
    2. Open the _BE file and delete all the forms, queries, reports, and code
    3. Open the original file and delete all the tables
    4. After deleting all the tables, go to External Data and import the tables from the _BE as linked tables

Hope it helps...

• Edited by .theDBguy Friday, September 15, 2017 4:52 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 3:02 PM
  • As I understand it from the hospital IT staff in Uzbekistan it worked for a few months on 2010 until they got an update.

I am retired and not getting paid for this so I did not upgrade my computer after 2007.

1. Make a copy of the database file and add _BE to its filename
    2. Open the _BE file and delete all the forms, queries, reports, and code
    3. Open the original file and delete all the tables

I did all these things (changes) and still no change.

Any more ideas will be appreciated.

Len

Friday, September 15, 2017 4:47 PM
  • I did all these things (changes) and still no change.

Hi,

No change in what? Are you saying it did not split the database? The steps I provided were just to answer your question on how to split the database, not to fix the problem with the code not working. We can't tell you how to fix the code without knowing what upgrades were done or even how the machine was set up. Sorry.

So, after following the above steps, were you able to split the database properly?

Friday, September 15, 2017 4:52 PM
  • I am very sorry, I misunderstood.  I can split the database by separating the tables and the other 8 objects.  I did that a while ago and just now.  The database is split and the original DB jus has the tables, the new db has the forms, queries and Report. 

They all work exactly as the original DB with no fixes or changes.

Di O keep it like this or go back to just the old one?

Thanks

Len

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Hi Len,

It's considered "best practice" to split an Access database and highly recommended (almost required) when it's a multi-user database.

So, my personal opinion is to keep it split if you can.

With regards to the other problem, we'll need to know more details. For example, what exactly is or not happening? Is it the same for every computer? etc.

Cheers!

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Keep the db split.  Any multiuser database should always be split (http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/09/setting-up-an-ms-access-database/).

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:06 PM
  • I still have the database split and will keep it that way even though there are very few programs (14) but a lot of records.

It happens the same on all 13 computers regardless of what country they are in even though the United States has 7 of the 13.  They are all stand alone and are not on the internet or networks.  This is the way the medical doctors want it.

Actually nothing is happening, no messages of any kind.  the forms have several command buttons and none of them execute the VBA code behind them.  I have one event where you ask the doctor his name and when it is completely entered it then changes the name to the appropriate national language and that does not execute the VBA code on exit either.

The database does keep the data entered in the appropriate field.  In fact they did not know it was failing for a year because when you depressed the command key based on the Diagnostic and Sig codes recorded the procedure that should be followed, unfortunately while the is a base medical procedure it never put the new procedure in the field.  Naturally with doctors not being programmers they never knew it was failing.  The forms never showed the procedure for legal reasons.  This new formula sort of speak only came out on the printed reports if a legal issue arose.

Until Access was introduced about 20 years ago all of my programming was in assembler, mostly IBM but some DEC. which I did for 45 years up to that point.  Did some DOS programs also when IBM introduced it before they gave it to Bill Gates.

I am glad we never had updates or changes like this back in my day or I would have changed fields.

Thanks for your help!

Len

Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:54 AM
  • " They tell me to split the database" Who told you this?

I've never experienced or heard of a similar problem, so I'm very perplexed.

Here are a few things to check:

• Decompile, Compact and Repair, Compile, Compact and Repair.
    • If you open the form in design view, are the events still associated to the controls?  I have seen events still exist in VBA, but for one reason or another they get removed from the form control's themselves.
    • Have you tried creating a new blank db and importing everything?
    • I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I'd be checking the Trusted Locations again.
    • Is the PC (windows) and Office fully up-to-date?

Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Dan;  Again thanks for getting back to me.  I am trying to put my new database in a trusted location and for some reason I cannot find
    1. From Administrative Tools, open the SharePoint Central Administration Web application.

2. On the Central Administration home page, click Application Management.

I have my live database in a trusted location but I forgot how I did it.  When I search for either one of the about they do not appear????  I am playing on a stand alone machine and a server so I might be running ito trouble there.

I did totally reconstruct the database and I am still having trouble.  Do not know why I cannot find the application Management in my Administrative Tools.

Thanks Again

Len

Sunday, September 17, 2017 5:28 PM
  • This is done through the Access GUI options menu, see

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-remove-or-change-a-trusted-location-for-your-files-f5151879-25ea-4998-80a5-4208b3540a62

Sunday, September 17, 2017 6:20 PM
  • I found it in Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.exe/decompile

And I got this message The operating system is not presently configured to run this application/

Thanks and now what?

Len
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 7:40 PM
  • Thanks Again

Why am I putting the command inside double quotes?

Is it best to use the DOS command window?

I still keep getting syntax errors.

MSACCESS.EXE is in C:\Microsoft Office\Office10

The new test database is in C:\Western\Database-be.mdb

When I set up the computer that is where the installation programs put it.

Thanks for the help, I programmed Access for over 20 years when Microsoft asked us to stop Macro Assembler and I never understood why because there is too much to learn when you run into certain problems.

Len

Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:13 PM
  • The format of the command is

"FullPath\MSACCESS.EXE" "FullPathAndDbNameWithExtension" /decompile

so your command should look like

"C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Western\Database-be.mdb" /decompile

Monday, September 18, 2017 10:28 AM
  • Sorry Guys;

I am confused about the quotes, they do not work in the command window.  The other thing is that Microsoft is not consistent with upgrades and updates between versions and when you are working with the entire world this is very difficult.

Where am I going wrong in trying to do the recompile?

I have C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE /decompile and nothing seems to happen.  After I run it, the events still do not work in my test database .

I also have to leave for a doctor's meting in about an hour so it may be a while before I can get back to you.  Sorry this is what happens when you are working with a volunteer organization

Thanks Again

Len

Monday, September 18, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi VDSV,

>> After I run it, the events still do not work in my test database

Do you mean the event did not work in a new test database? To check whether it is related with your environment, I suggest you copy the test database to another computer and then check whether the event works.

What is your Access database version?

In addition, please do not post multiple threads for the same issue. It will make your thread hard to read, and may make us trouble to understand your real issue.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.

I am using Access 2007 and so are a few doctors, I think most are on 2010, to my knowledge no one is on 2013.

Uzbekistan would be the only one on 2013, their programmer is both a doctor and programmer and seems pretty smart.

All computers are 100% stand alone and are on no network or the internet. We have six computers around the world and seven in Canada and the United States.  I am counting mine as one of them in the U.S.  I can guarantee it will stay this way.

Since I got out of programming the changes in the last four years seem monumental.  I am still trying to do the decompile and I guess I have the wrong syntax.  Do I open the command Window (DOS) or is it done through Windows?

Thanks Again

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:36 PM
  • What if the doctors refuse to upgrade to 2010 because of a lack of resources?  I am still on 2007 because I am volunteering to solve this problem. 

I am out of programming and taking these disabled veterans out to do something to try to keep their spirits up.

I have been out now for seven years until this serious problem occurred.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:16 PM
  • Hi VDSV,

Could you share us your issue with below points?

1. It seems you are using Access 2007, and you got this issue, right?

2. Could you share us detail information about your issue like detail steps to get your error?

3. Does your issue exist in a new Access 2007 database?

>> The events only work on Access 2003 and eatlier, they have never worked on 2007 or 2010. 

Do you mean you open Access 2003 database under Access 2007? If you create a new Access 2007 database, will the events work?

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:55 AM
  • All computers are 100% stand alone and are on no network or the internet. We have six computers around the world and seven in Canada and the United States.  I am counting mine as one of them in the U.S.  I can guarantee it will stay this way.

For one thing, this means the PCs are not being kept up-to-date (both the OS and MS Office). I wonder if that might not be a factor.

What happens if you create a new blank database and import everything into it?

Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Danioel;

Thanks for getting back to me.

The exact same thing, command buttons and events just do not fire the code. Even when I go to design view, put a stop in at the first instruction, it never sees the code behind the button.  I have split the database, one database are the two tables and the second are the forms, queries and one report.

A lot of people have told me to do a decompile but I do not know if what I did was correct.  I opened a command Window and entered C:Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE/decompile    I get this message   The operating system is not presently configured to run this application    So I guess it never did the decompile.

Thanks Again

Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Based on that, I'm 99% willing to bet it is a Trusted Location issue. I know we've mentioned it previously, but I'm sure this is the issue.

This was introduced in 2007, which explains why you never had such issues in 2003.  It's a serious pain for no real reason, but you need to configure it otherwise you code doesn't work, just like you describe.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Again;

I will work on this for the next couple of hours.  I have plenty of examples to look at.

Thanks Again and I will let you know.

Len

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Dan;

Thanks Again.

I am sure I have the trusted locations correctly and still does not work.

The last thing I entered was

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Office Trusted Location Window.

Warning:  This location will be treated as a trusted source for opening files.  If you change or add a location, make sure that the new location is secure.

C:\Western\Database_be.mdb\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The programmers who are on 2013 have been fighting with this as long as I have.  Most of the other locations do not have a programmer.  However the programmer are from Uzbekistan and they have very few computers in their country.

The only thing I could not get to work was the decompile command which was;

C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE\Western\Database_be.mdb/decompile

I get the message This is not a recognized as an internal or external command.  The programmers in the same message on Access 2013.

I am on Windows Pro 7 and they are on Server 2012 but it is a stand alone machine, nothing attached to it.

The reason I bring this up is because if they get it ti work the hospital will upgrade.

Thanks Again

Len

Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:10 PM
  • Based on the path, you're trusting the be.  Rather, you need to trust the fe"s path.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:13 PM
  • Dan;

Why would the computer care what the name of a database is, if that is all it is I will change it and try again.  However the one in Uzbekistan is \Eastern\UzVets

I will try it changing the database name and putting that in the trusted Locations and remove the old trusted location and try the decompile again.

Thanks Again

Len

Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:02 PM
  • It doesn't care what you name it, you misunderstanding me.

A database is normally split into 2 pieces: the back-end (tables), the front-end (GUI - queries, forms, reports, vba).  The front-end is what you actually launch/use.  You normally don't open the back-end directly.

So because the folder included _be in the name, I made the guess that it what the back-end location.  As such, I'm guessing that the front-end is elsewhere and that is what you need to locate and create a trusted location for.  Obviously, I don't have access to your PC, so this is all just conjecture on my part based solely on a path name and my gut still telling me this is all related to trusted locations.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:16 PM
  • Dan;

My new database is DataUSAV and it is in a tusted Location

I tried the decompile again and it has the same message.

C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE\Western\DataUSAV.mdb/decompile

Error = This is not a recognized as an internal or external command

I never worked with this decompile before so I am really stuck.  All of the recommendations the guys have given me on this have not worked unless I have the wrong syntax?

Thanks Again

Len

Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:21 PM
  • You need quotes and a fully qualified path for DataUSAV.mdb

"C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\...\...\...\Western\DataUSAV.mdb" /decompile

and are you certain your Office installation isn't C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACESS.EXE ?  I've never someone not install it in the Program Files directory.  I know it can be done, but it is also known to cause headaches, so is best to leave the default option.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:41 PM
  • Dan;

Yes I am positive, all military base hospitals do it this way, do not know why but this is the way they do it.  They are always against putting anything in the Program Files Folder.

I programed a lot of Macro Assembler programs back in the day and the Compile was always the first command, so this is very different.

Why are the commands in quotes, is it suppose to be done off the Web?

You do use the Command Window, correct?  What I call the old DOS Window.

Still getting the same message.  I wish I knew why?

Thanks Again

Len

Friday, September 22, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Dan

If it is a brand new database why does it need a decompile?

Some military bases have bee switching back to IBM,  this comes as a recommendation by the Upper Level Board Members of Texas Public Universities, If you happen to know why I would appreciate.

Thanks

Len

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Dan;

I have been trying to follow this site and still getting the same messages on the decompile.

http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performance/Decompile.asp

Thanks Again

Len

Saturday, September 23, 2017 8:46 PM
  • Dan;

This is what I am working on now;

When the environment variables get messed up, it could lead to trouble with other programs that share the same environment variable. One such symptom is the following error in Windows: “commandis not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.May 6, 2009

How to fix "not recognized as an internal or external command".

<cite class="_Rm">https://helpdeskgeek.com/how.../fix-not-recognized-as-an-internal-or-external-command...</cite>

Thanks Again

Len<cite class="_Rm"></cite>

Saturday, September 23, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Dan;

Now I am really confused.  There are no commands that are MSACCESS or decompile so what is the DOS command that uses MSACCESS.EXE or decompile as a parameter?  I worked with DOS for years so at some point they must have added them in.

Thanks

Len

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:31 AM
  • You use the command prompt to use the msaccess.exe, found in your installation folder, to run the decompile command against the database that you specify.

You need to supply fully qualified paths.

You need to surround the msaccess.exe as well as the database paths with quotes otherwise it won't account for spaces, and the likes, in the paths.

What is the full path to the msaccess.exe on your PC?

What is the full path to your database front-end?

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:14 AM
  • C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.exe

I wasn't sure of the syntax so I tried two, both failed.

C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.exe\DataUSAV.mdb /decompile

C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.exe /decompile

This is where I am at.

I also have a test database in a folder named Western that is in the root area

Thanks Again

Len

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:00 PM
  • but what is the full path of your database?

C:\Western\DataUSAV.mdb

?

If so, then the proper command prompt command is:

"C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.exe" "C:\Western\DataUSAV.mdb" /decompile

(all on one line with a space between the 2 fully qualified path in quotes)

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Dan;

Got this message once before:

The operating system is not presently configured to run this operation.

Now what

Thanks Again

Len

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Could you provide us with a screenshot of the command window when you try executing your decompilation and another one of your trusted locations.

Monday, September 25, 2017 10:37 PM
  • Dan;

I tried to send them and it will not let me because it is a picture.  I will mess with it now, thanks again.

Len

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Dan;

This is the message I get when I try to send the picture of the screen:

Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The programmer in Uzbekistan is getting the exact same errors we are except that he is having another issue that I had when I spoke to him a couple of hours ago.  The language barrier is a problem however, I know he is on the latest MS Office and has a server with no one on it.  It is also the latest server.  Why he has it for such a small application baffles me, but I guess someone told him he had to have it.  Whatever the problem is, it is across several platforms.  My Russian is pretty poor because I have not used it for many years.   The other problem is that I think he is programming in Russian.

Thanks Again

Len

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:18 PM
  • You could upload your image to OneDrive, and then share us the link string here.

Help each other

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:15 AM
  • Thanks!

I sent it to my e-mail address because this machine does not have a web server.

Our E-Mail address is vdsv@zianet.com

Did the image come through?

I still get the same message:

Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

I have put that image all over the place and I still cannot get it to you.

Len & Tony

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Hello,

Please follow Share OneDrive files and folders to get the shared link and paste it here.

Regards

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:32 AM
  • You could consider sending your file to my email(tonyhelp.outlook.com)

Help each other

Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:18 AM
  • I sent the image to tonyhelp@outlook.com.

If it did not go to you it went to someone.

Thanks

Again

Len

Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:35 PM
  • This is the image from VDSV.

Help each other

Friday, September 29, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi VDSV,

Before compiling database, could you make a test with a new database, will the event work?

Help each other

Friday, September 29, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Have you performed an Office Repair?
    What is your build number?  Is your installation fully updated?

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Yes to all of them, I have had to do a rebuild in the past.  What is a build number, I have never heard of it before?  I will try the update again. 

Thanks

Len

Friday, September 29, 2017 11:26 PM
  • Dan

Apparently I may have done the wrong update for office, I could not find one for Windows 7 professional, Microsoft Office 2007.  I downloaded the Windows Vista Microsoft office.

Two of the foreign countries changes systems, one went back to a previous version on Windows to get his to work and the other went to IBM and used their converter.  The U.S. wants us to stick Microsoft for now.

Thanks Again

Len

Friday, September 29, 2017 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for jumping again. It seems you already identified this issue is related with Office Product, and you would not accept any suggestion which is not related with repairing your Office.

You may consider implement your product in later Office version by importing Forms, Code from old database step by step.

Help each other

Monday, October 2, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me;

I have done this several times;

I cannot find a 2007 office update for Windows 7 professional.  

Everything I have tried on updates has made no difference.  Also please remember this is happening on other versions.

Someone recommended we do a print out of the old database and start reentering, however the problem with the command buttons will still be there.

I am sorry I know many of you do not want to read facts and are great at trying to help, but it should not take over 150 days to find a problem with $495.00 also being paid out.

I am even having trouble using print and sending the image,  this excessive security is killing us.

I wish I knew if it is 2007 Office or Windows 7 Professional and reload one of them either Vista or Office 2003 to see what differences there are.  We know reloading 2003 has worked with Windows 7 and later so I have to assume the problem is the Office Suite.

Thanks

Len

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:01 PM
  • After reading this thread several times, I am convinced that decompiling, or changing the Office version or changing the Windows version will not help you. The original question conerned your version 2007 command buttons not working. Right? So let me ask you this:

If the original file was built in version 2003, have you attempted to do a conversion of the version 2003 file to version 2007? The file extensions are different for the two versions, with 2003 being .mdb and version 2007 (and above) being .accdb. If you have, then it comes down to the command buttons themselves in your 2007 file. You already said you have split the file into FE and BE files and put them in Trusted Locations, so that is not the problem.

Open the 2007 file and then open one of your forms in design mode.

1. Make sure the properties window is showing
    2. Select one of the command buttons that don't work
    3. Click the Event tab on the properties window
    4. Do you see any Macro or Event Procedure that has been defined? If not, then there is no macro or VBA event that has been defined for the command button to associate with. If yes, then please copy and post the macro or Event Procedure so we can look at it.

You are wasting your time with decompiling and worrying about the Office version and Windows versions. The problems lies within the version 2007 file itself in my humble opinion.

Let us know what you find when you check the command buttons Events. Maybe someone can help you then.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Len,

I am out of ideas.  I've been developing Access databases since Access 2000 and never experienced anything remotely like what you are describing on my, or any of my clients systems.

At this point, I don't think you have many options left.  I think you'll need to hire a professional to either go on-site or remotely connect to the PC (although you've mentioned the PCs aren't networked) to see exactly what is going on.

The only other idea, would be to supply a copy of the db for someone to test outside of your system(s).

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:39 PM
  • I agree with Lawrence, based on everything you've posted regarding multiple people experiencing the same issue ... I doubt it is Windows or Office that is the culprit in this instance.

Another thing to try is to create a new blank db and add a button to close the form with an On Click event of:

DoCmd.Close

Close and save the form.  If you open it, does the button work? (don't forget about Trusted Locations first!)

This will quickly identify if it is an Access or a database specific issue.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:04 PM
  • The events only work on Access 2003 and eatlier, they have never worked on 2007 or 2010.  

Hi Len,

Does the A2003 version still work?

I am only developping in A2003, now some 100 different applications, All these applications can run without any problem using A2007, A2010, A2013.

Could you continue to work with the A2003 version?

Imb.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Yes 2003 still works, however we have 2007 working on Windows 7 Home, but it will not work on Windows 7 professional or any operating system after that.

Now I am really confused?

Thanks

Len

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:12 PM
  • I haven't read through this entire thread so I might have missed the answer to this. Did you do as I suggested and set the Macro security to Low?

File tab>Options>Trust center>Trust Center Settings>Macro Settings>Enable all Macros.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, October 6, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Bill;

Thanks for getting back to me, No I missed that, I will do it now and let you know.

Len

Friday, October 6, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Also, on very rare occasions, I've had databases lose their event procedure property.  The buttons were still there, the vba code was still there, but the property telling the button that the was an event procedure would disappear.  Double check by opening a form in design mode and look over the events, do they still have macros or event procedure associated to them?

Friday, October 6, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Dan;

When I click on the button here is the code, there are no macros involved:  Most medical tests on colons are repeated every 150 days.  The Variables QXZ and XXX are not active on this procedure, which is activated when you click on a command button that calculated the next tests.

This code does not fire when I click on the command button.

Private Sub CalcCallBack_Click()

Dim QXZ As Variant
            Dim XXX As Variant

If IsNull(QXZ) Then
                If IsNull(XXX) Then
                    MsgBox "Both are Null"
                Else
                    MsgBox "Both are Not Null"
                End If
            End If

QXZ = "   "
            XXX = "255"

If QXZ = XXX Then
                MsgBox "Not Active at this Time"
            Else
                LSUPDT = LSUPDT + 150
            End If

End Sub

Remember it works on Windows 7 Home, but not Windows 7 Professional.  This is where I am really lost, I have never seen this before.   I have had other problems many years ago after upgrading to a new operating system, but nothing like this.

Thanks for your help.  I will be traveling to Canada this week, to see if they are having the same problem.

Thanks Again;

Len

Saturday, October 7, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Home or pro should make no difference.  I have clients on all different flavors of Windows and Access databases run done in all.

One thought, do you have an antivirus, backup software, ... I'd try disabling as many extra programs and try again.

You could also start your PC in safe mode and see if there's any improvement.

Another idea would be to try installing an access runtime version and run it with that instead to see if there is any change in the behavior.

Saturday, October 7, 2017 7:18 PM
  • I copied your code into a version 2007 module and ran it:

1. The code did not compile properly because LSUPDT was not declared as anything so it could not possibly have worked for you on any Operating System under any version.
    2. What do you mean by "The Variables QXZ and XXX are not active on this procedure..."? Of course they are "active on this procedure" or else they would not be defined and evaluated in your code.
    3. If you have fields on your form named QXZ, XXX and LSUPDT, you need to define what they are so the code can properly evaluate them.

So in the revised code below, I have declared your variables and defined them. Now if you run the code in your module, it evaluates the defined variables and adds 150 to the LSUPDT field, if QXZ and XXX are not equal.

Note: Although defining a vaiable as a Variant is sometimes necessary, If the QXZ field or XXX field are defined as text in your table, then they should be declared as a String type. If they are numbers, then you should declare them as Long or Double or other appropriate numeric type.

Dim QXZ As Variant '(should be String or Long?)
    Dim XXX As Variant
    Dim LSUPDT As Long

QXZ = Me.QXZ           'Sets QXZ to your forms active QXZ field
    XXX = Me.XXX            'Sets XXX to your forms active XXX field
    LSUPDT = Me.LSUPDT 'Sets LSUPDT to your forms active LSUPDT field

If IsNull(Me.QXZ) Then
        If IsNull(Me.XXX) Then
            MsgBox "Both are Null"
        Else
            MsgBox "Both are Not Null"
        End If
    End If
    If Me.QXZ = Me.XXX Then
        MsgBox "Not Active at this Time"
    Else
        Me.LSUPDT = Me.LSUPDT + 150
    End If

Did you ever compile your code or step through your code lines to determine they do what you want them to do?

After you copy the revised code into your forms module, make sure you compile the code.

Saturday, October 7, 2017 8:57 PM
  • The code did not compile properly because LSUPDT was not declared as anything so it could not possibly have worked for you on any Operating System under any version.

Hi,

The variables could be globals ...

Imb.

Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:02 PM
  • Imb_hb...maybe but I doubt it. At least we got him to give us a slight hint at what he was trying to do, but I somehow think this is just the tip of the iceburg. This could be a long long thread....lol

Also, there is too much we don't know about how this 2003 version application was distributed to the other users and as the years went by, which ones were upgraded to new versions, and which were not. He stated several of the files had not worked at all for years. Even if the command buttons were working properly, if the users didn't know how to upgrade or convert to a newer version (checking references for example), then their version may not have worked for different reasons.

And there is another issue. Even if he can get his version 2007 to work properly with all the buttons working, if he is going re-distribute the application again to the original users, those databases were not split into FE and BE files. So all his users are going to have to split the files before he re-distributes the new FE to them. If they do not do that, and the old application file is over-written by the new FE one, all their data is gone forever.

At any rate, this forum is a very difficult way to attempt to help with so many issues, and so much we can't know. Maybe at least he can get his buttons working.

Saturday, October 7, 2017 10:08 PM
  • One more thought.  What about adding a breakpoint at the very first line of your procedure and clicking on the button to see if the code is triggered at all.  Based on what you've described it is doubtful, but it is a quick and easy test just to validate.

Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:21 AM
  • Thanks for everything guys;

After some extremely serious problems occurred Microsoft finally got involved.  They did fix one problem but now created another.

When we try to create a new query, it does not stay or show in the database.

If after two weeks we do not get a reply on why this is happening I will re-post the problem.

I want to thank all of you for your help, this was the toughest I have ever had and with the VA running out of money and asking for volunteer programmers it has complicated matters.

On this new query problem, we can do our work in development mode but it does slow us down a lot.

Len

Monday, October 23, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Hi Len,

I am glad your original issue has been resolved, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close original issue.

For this new issue, you could post a new thread, then we could focus on this new issue.

Regards,

Tony

Help each other

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:31 AM