Problem connecting to SQL 2008 Express from SQL Server Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had some issues loading SQL 2008 Express with SQL Serrver Management Studio. The install did not include the SQL Serrver Management Studio and I had to uninstall and re-install when I found the package that included the SQL Serrver Management Studio.

I now have both SQL 2008 Express loaded and SQL Serrver Management Studio 2008 Express loaded but I can't connect from the SQL Serrver Management Studio to the SQL 2008 Express Server. SQL 2008 Express is loaded onto the same machine running Windows 7.

The connection dialog box has:

Database:   Database Engine

Server Name:   (local)

Authentication:   Windows Authentication

I get an error message saying that the Server was no found or was not accessible.

However, the SQL Server Configuration Manaer \ SQL Server Services shows SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) as running.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• However, the SQL Server Configuration Manaer \ SQL Server Services shows SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) as running.

Hello,

By default a SQL Server Express Edition is installed as a named instance "SQLEXPRESS" and the entry in the service manager show's the name in brackets; so you have a named instance. Please use

(local)\SQLEXPRESS    or    .\SQLEXPRESS

as server name when you try to connect to.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Proposed as answer by William Vaughn Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dactech1 Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:18 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• However, the SQL Server Configuration Manaer \ SQL Server Services shows SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) as running.

Hello,

By default a SQL Server Express Edition is installed as a named instance "SQLEXPRESS" and the entry in the service manager show's the name in brackets; so you have a named instance. Please use

(local)\SQLEXPRESS    or    .\SQLEXPRESS

as server name when you try to connect to.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Proposed as answer by William Vaughn Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dactech1 Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:18 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for your assistance.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:19 PM