Too slow... RRS feed

• Question

• Try everything I could :

i5 + 4GO ram with XP + all the patches + all the tips found on the net.

Visual studio still got sluggish.

Slow to startup, slow when trying to open a menu on right click. (by the way the UI is ugly), slow editor, slow the shutdown, pff...

Disable Intellisense, disable add-ins, disable everything.

Slow like hell with a little C++ project. (And I don't even talk about using it in a Virtual machine)

Looks like VS is walking in the mud, every step it becomes slower and slower...

I go back to VS2008 (and sometimes to VC6 !!)

Do I really need a 16CPU core with 128GO RAM to run VS "at normal speed" ?

Sorry but VS2010 is not a good product !

Take a look at QtCreator or Code::Block please.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:18 AM

All replies

• On 13/02/2011 12:18, stef13013 wrote:

Try everything I could :

i5 + 4GO ram with XP + all the patches + all the tips found on the net.

Visual studio still got sluggish.

Could you try it on Windows 7 x64 with a decent DirectX9 capable 3D video card (the editor uses WPF) ?

Giovanni

Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Thanks for your useful answer Giovanni,

Yes it is (a bit) faster now, but for that piece of software, it is not enough.

Overall I don't understand Microsoft policy.

Saying "this software is slow ? no trouble: buy/wait for new hardware" is wrong.

Of course, building an interface with WPF is -I guess- easier than writing it into native code, but sounds pretty irrelevant in that particular case.

As I said in my first post, look at QtCreator (and older stuff like the "fantastic" VC6). Fast and very responsive.

Of course there are no sugar eye functions but developers don't need them ! 

Today, if I want to build a quick & dirty little project, even on a "slow" machine (means: a "simple" i5/4go), it's pain in the a** with VS.

My 2cents opinion, but  as I can see, I'm not the only one who complains about responsive issue of VS ?!

Too bad, I keep my old 2008 :(

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hello,

In my opinion it isn't a bad product.

I'm running Visual Studio in Windows 7 32 bit, 4 CPU core, 2GB ram and an integrate video card.

Althought it's running three instance of it(one use WPF editor), Internet Explorer, Media player and so on, the ide isn't slow. Watch at running process and terminate all that aren't necessary and try out.

Nicolò Zilio
    Personal blog: http://nicolozilio.wordpress.com/(With technical articles)
    Personal Web site: http://nicolozilio.altervista.org/

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Hi

I have nearly same hardware with Nicolo and VS working perfectly. There must be another error.

Yusuf

• Proposed as answer by Yusuf Altuntaş Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:57 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 3:24 PM