Why should credentials be stored? RRS feed

• Question

• New to SSRS, installed SSRS, configured SSRS service to run as a service account (the same account SQL Server runs as). Created a new reported, deployed it successfully and setup an email subscription. All works, however to setup an email subscription, I had to use "Credentials stored securely in the report server" options and provide the service account and password.

Why should the credentials be stored? Any workaround, I was hoping I can use "Windows integrated security" as the SSRS service always has the credentials.

Monday, April 5, 2010 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi CM2005,

Basically, that what Suresh said can answer your question. Stored credentials are used if the report runs unattended like subscription. The report Server retrieves and uses the credentials when report processing is scheduled or triggered by an event rather than a user request. So, you have to specify a single set of stored credentials.

thanks,

Jerry

• Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Friday, April 16, 2010 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:21 AM

All replies

• I think this is due to the fact that Subscriptions are automatic and has no manual intervention.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi CM2005,

Basically, that what Suresh said can answer your question. Stored credentials are used if the report runs unattended like subscription. The report Server retrieves and uses the credentials when report processing is scheduled or triggered by an event rather than a user request. So, you have to specify a single set of stored credentials.

thanks,

Jerry

• Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Friday, April 16, 2010 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:21 AM