USysRibbons table - assigning the full standard ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• A

C2007 - I noticed this behavior: if you create a USysRibbons table, you can no longer choose a DEFAULT ribbon (the "standard" ribbon) from the Access Options/CurrentDatabase ribbon dropdown. Is there any way in VBA to insure the full ribbon shows-up even when USysRibbons is present ? Do I create a blank row in USysRibbons for instance ? What's the "trick" here ?

I tried this in VBA: dbs.Properties("CustomRibbonID").Value = "<Default>"....
    as vbNullstring was not acceptable. The above did nothing....the assigned Ribbon was still used instead.

Friday, November 26, 2010 5:23 PM

Answers

• "Syswizard" wrote in message news:b8a42d15-20b4-424c-9ae7-12fc776dcc7f@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The important item is: as soon as you create a USysRibbons table and put one non-null XML entry in it, you cannot get the full RIBBON menu any longer....unless you bypass the start-up form via shift key. That's the issue. SO it's probably the COMBINATION of a start-up form and a USysRibbons entry that has lead me down this path of discovery.

No, that is 100% incorrect.

Simply go into the combo box and erase the value entered.

So, your path of discovery is 100% wrong and 100% incorrect.

You just have to make sure you READ the message that appears after you do the above. You have to exit + restart the database when you change the ribbon in that combo box, and that also includes when you erase the value in that combo box.

--
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Pleasenospam_kallal@msn.com
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, December 3, 2010 11:19 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:15 PM

All replies

• "Syswizard" wrote in message news:3505c3bc-1993-4e1b-a382-db86cedd1e03@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

A

C2007 - I noticed this behavior: if you create a USysRibbons table, you can no longer choose a DEFAULT ribbon (the "standard" ribbon) from the Access Options/CurrentDatabase ribbon dropdown. Is there any way in VBA to insure the full ribbon shows-up even when USysRibbons is present ? Do I create a blank row in USysRibbons for instance ? What's the "trick" here ?

I tried this in VBA: dbs.Properties("CustomRibbonID").Value = "<Default>"....
    as vbNullstring was not acceptable. The above did nothing....the assigned Ribbon was still used instead.

Just erase what is in there and leave it blank for the default ribbon. So, if you don't specify anything and leave it blank, you back to the default.

Since the effect of this change does not take until you re start access, then this would explain why trying to change this in code will not show the results until you re start access.

--
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Thanks Albert. The final solution was an entry into USysRibbons with a RibbonName="<Default>" and a RibbonXML value of null string. When selected, that brings-up the full ribbon of all tabs.

There is nothing special about the RibbonName either...it could have been "System" or anything unique.

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:31 PM
  • "Syswizard" wrote in message news:4e235edf-eefc-4dfe-afcf-79f891c3196b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks Albert. The final solution was an entry into USysRibbons with a RibbonName="<Default>" and a RibbonXML value of null string. When selected, that brings-up the full ribbon of all tabs.

There is nothing special about the RibbonName either...it could have been "System" or anything unique.

Right, but if you create a blank new database, and for EVERY other database you create, the combo box value is simply left blank. So, there not need to create a new entry in the USYSribbon table for this purpose. If you don�??t want a ribbon, then simply do what every single other database has for when no ribbon is specified, and that is to leave the combo box blank.

For what reason and what benefit do you get by doing anything different then what every database that has no ribbon specified for this case?

--
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Friday, November 26, 2010 7:39 PM
  • The important item is: as soon as you create a USysRibbons table and put one non-null XML entry in it, you cannot get the full RIBBON menu any longer....unless you bypass the start-up form via shift key. That's the issue. SO it's probably the COMBINATION of a start-up form and a USysRibbons entry that has lead me down this path of discovery.

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:11 PM
  • "Syswizard" wrote in message news:b8a42d15-20b4-424c-9ae7-12fc776dcc7f@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The important item is: as soon as you create a USysRibbons table and put one non-null XML entry in it, you cannot get the full RIBBON menu any longer....unless you bypass the start-up form via shift key. That's the issue. SO it's probably the COMBINATION of a start-up form and a USysRibbons entry that has lead me down this path of discovery.

No, that is 100% incorrect.

Simply go into the combo box and erase the value entered.

So, your path of discovery is 100% wrong and 100% incorrect.

You just have to make sure you READ the message that appears after you do the above. You have to exit + restart the database when you change the ribbon in that combo box, and that also includes when you erase the value in that combo box.

--
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, December 3, 2010 11:19 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:15 PM
  • Hi Syswizard,

you made my day. Do not ask how long I fished for this. Works perfect. Many thanks!

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:17 PM