Enable XNA for metro-style games, and PLEASE bring some sort of flash and silverlight to metro IE

General discussion

• I know the plugins thing likely wont happen, but at least make it opt-in in the control panel: It's such a big selling point. Work with adobe if u have to to minimize flash's issues
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Soulja3,

I do agree that we should have the ability to enable it, rather than it being turned off completely. One of the greatest things Microsoft can do is give us a choice. I personally would like to stay in Immersive IE and play a Java-based game. 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:52 PM
  • I think the decision not to include Silverlight is sort of mystifying, in a way; I mean, one of the two major ways of building "metro" apps is using what is, for all intents and purposes, a new version of Silverlight.  In the //build/ conference demo, the guy doing a coding demo took one of Scott Guthrie's Silverlight projects and literally copied/pasted it into a VS11 Win8 metro project, fixed a couple of namespace includes (eg, "uses system.windows.xxxx"), and built it, and it ran.

IE for Metro can run HTML5 from the web, or from "native" metro apps built using HTML5, so it's hard to imagine that having the same setups (being able to run Silverlight/XAML apps on the web, as well as "native" metro/XAML apps) would be that hard to accomplish.

Maybe this is something they'll address during the course of the next version of Windows moving to Beta and then RC.  I hope...  Flash, I could almost understand not supporting - it's not Microsoft's own tech, and the OS doesn't have flash support built in.  But metro apps are effectively "Silverlight+", and that tech is both Microsoft's own tech, *and* it's baked into Windows 8.

Technology Applied
    Monday, October 3, 2011 10:51 AM
  • I wondered if the 'no plug-in' rule for Metro IE is MS thinking ahead to when(if) Windows8 makes it onto a commercial ARM platform? If they allow flash/silverlight/java in the metro browser then to ensure they run on an arm tablet they'd also need to port flash/java/Silverlight to arm too.

Also they probably want a high takeup of metro apps from developers so they have something to put in the Store.

Personally I dislike flash, love java and am learning to like silverlight but I think all three should be allowed in metro now, should arm become an issue then port these technologies over then.

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:13 PM
  • the issue is really compatibility. I love the metro IE but when you go to sites that use flash or any of the other unsupported bits then it's usefulness goes all of the way to zero. we like windows and MS because they do not limit it but if they start to then their benefit goes away.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:55 PM