none
[MS-OXOCAL] Mismatch between PidLidClipStart and PidLidAppointmentStartWhole RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Upon review of a PST file created by Outlook 2007 SP2, I've managed to find multiple single-instance appointments that had a PidLidClipStart value that was not equal to the value of PidLidAppointmentStartWhole.

According to MS-OXOCAL (2.2.1.14), For single-instance Calendar objects, the PidLidClipStart property specifies the start date and time of the event in UTC.

According to MS-OXOCAL (2.2.1.5), The PidLidAppointmentStartWhole property specifies the start date and time of the event in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) ...

As far as I understand, for single-instance appointment, these values should be the same, but as noted, they are sometimes not. (the differences were up to several days in my case)

I observed that for all purposes Outlook used the value of PidLidAppointmentStartWhole over PidLidClipStart , same goes for PidLidAppointmentEndWhole over PidLidClipEnd.

Thanks,

Tal

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tal:

I have alerted open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Tal, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi Tal, I believe that the following statements from MS-OXOCAL section 2.2.1.5 and 3.1.5.5 might explain the difference you are seeing.

2.2.1.5   PidLidAppointmentStartWhole
    "Note that for some appointments, the value of this time property is not interpreted strictly as a UTC time. For more details about how this property is interpreted, see section
    3.1.5.5."

3.1.5.5   Time Display Adjustments
    "In some cases, the client needs to adjust the way in which it interprets the PidLidAppointmentStartWhole, PidLidAppointmentEndWhole, and PidLidReminderSignalTime properties. Instead of interpreting these time properties as UTC values, a different process is followed for floating appointments, as specified in section
    3.1.5.5.1, and time zone updates, as specified in section 3.1.5.5.2."

Please let me know if this helps.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:38 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I'm aware of time display adjustments, it does not explain the difference I am seeing because time display adjustments are only used by Outlook 2010, while this file is viewed by Outlook 2007 SP2. (In any case, the effect of time display adjustments is limited to several hours, while the difference in this case is up to several days).

Thanks for your help,

Tal

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Hi Tal, If you look at the same appointment with Outlook and OWA do they appear to be at the same date/time or are they different?

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Sorry, we are not using OWA.

Tal

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi Tal, The documentation is correct. This appears to be a known issue with the version of Outlook that you are using. If you want to pursue the issue further I would suggest posting your question on one of the following forums.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/outlook/threads

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookdev/threads

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Is this issue specific to Outlook 2007 SP2, or is it specific to Outlook 2007?

Can you please give me more details about this issue?

Thanks,

Tal

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi Tal, product support issues are outside the scope of the Open Specifications forums. You will need to contact Outlook product support for more information.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to note in the specification which of the properties is the one used to display the appointment (start time) in the calendar view,

(especially considering the issue at hand).

Thanks,

Tal

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hi Tal, I understand what you are asking for. However, the protocol documentation doesn't describe the implementation details of a particular client. Behavior notes are used when a Microsoft product doesn't follow or doesn't support something in the specification.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:08 PM