How to retrieve the Server certificate information for SSL

Question

• Using the XML HTTP Request 2 interfaces I understand that in WinRT it is not possible to bypass validation of the server's SSL certificate. If the client does not trust the certificate provided by server, it will deny the connection. While functionality to bypass this validation would be useful for debugging, I understand why would not want to allow this in production.

However, in the case that the client is denied access because of untrusted cert, is it possible to get information about the server certificate. It would be useful to be able to present information to the client describing the untrusted certificate. This would give the client the necessary information to determine if they wish to acquire and install the certificate separately. It is not possible for me to package this certificate with the application  as the App can possibly connect to many different servers each with different certificates that are not known at time of app packaging.

Thank You,

Raul

Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:21 PM

All replies

• To be more specific on certificate information I am looking for, the information contained in PCCERT_CONTEXT structure is what I am looking for. This structure is still valid in WinRT, just not sure how to get the information from Server to fill in the data.

Thank You,

Raul

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 10, 2012 12:12 PM