none
Store outlook distribution list as attachment and reference file to create email with distribution list on "To" or create access distribution list and update by comparing uploaded document. RRS feed

• Question

• Let me add a bit of perspective to my very long title. I need a way for my users to either upload updated distribution lists into the database in order for the database to read it and use that distribution list OR create a traditional distribution list with two tables, but have a way for access to read my updated distribution list file and update my access distribution list based on changes to the outlook distribution list. Essentially I don't want my users to have to update distribution lists on both outlook and access.
    • Edited by InnVis Friday, August 30, 2019 12:40 PM Typo
    Friday, August 30, 2019 12:39 PM

All replies

• Essentially I don't want my users to have to update distribution lists on both outlook and access.

Hi InnVis,

If you can generate a distribution list from the database, and use this list to send e-mails, why do you need such a list also in Outlook?

Imb.  

Friday, August 30, 2019 9:13 PM
  • Because I work for a company that has 80, 000 employees. I'm planning to implement the database in a department as part of my agile tool development initiative. We get regular updated distribution lists for various business operations. This particular database is a small part of a much larger operation. Since managing those distribution lists already happens in outlook, I want to prevent duplicitous work at this department and make it a much easier transition. I know this email function will be a big hit, just have to involve the least steps possible.
    Friday, August 30, 2019 11:59 PM
  • I know this email function will be a big hit, just have to involve the least steps possible.

Hi InnVis,

Ok, I see.

I concentrated on CDO to do any email-sending, and thus be independent of Outlook or other email-progams. In CDO I can supply any distribution-list generated from the database, and also the HTMLbody.

Imb.

Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:43 AM
  • Start by reading this article from MS : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/outlook.distlistitem

Maybe you will face some issues when trying to use Outlook constants but don't worry ..every constant its just  a friendly name for the numeric parameter.

Saturday, August 31, 2019 2:59 PM