Can Win10 app really not connect to Bluetooth LE device GATT ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to port an Android app to Windows 10 UWP (Anniversary Edition) for PC. The BluetoothLEAdvertisementWatcher API finds my device, but I am unable to enumerate the GATT Services for the device. This means I cannot connect to the device and read data from the GATT.

In the Received callback of BluetoothLEAdvertisementWatcher I use the API BluetoothLEDevice.FromBluetoothAddressAsync. It always returns an empty GattServices list.

The following threads report similar behavior:

http://www.devsplanet.com/question/35937580

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35937580/why-is-bluetoothledevice-gattservices-empty

Apparently Win 10's BLE support assumes that a user will pair/bond a BLE device prior to using it. This is a showstopper in my project, because our BLE device does not support pairing/bonding.

This is disappointing from a Windows perspective, since the same scenario works fine on Android. I'd like to learn whether the Bluetooth LE APIs are on the Microsoft's roadmap to be improved soon.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:20 PM

Answers

• According to this article, the feature of enumerating service without pairing is not available for GATT clients. Therefore I'm afraid there no way to support this.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:35 AM

All replies

• According to this article, the feature of enumerating service without pairing is not available for GATT clients. Therefore I'm afraid there no way to support this.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:35 AM
  • cheong00, thank you for the pointer.

I was hoping to get a statement from Microsoft, about whether or not there are plans to address this limitation.

At this point I'll have to assume I will not be able to port my Android app to Windows 10 UWP, because my Bluetooth LE device is not capable of pairing/bonding.

This is a Windows 10 showstopper for my app development. Disappointing.

Rainer.

Monday, August 15, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Update: From the same FAQ, this feature is now available for device with Win10M Creators update installed.
    • Edited by cheong00 Friday, May 5, 2017 4:34 AM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 4:34 AM