SharePoint CU Update Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am getting "the expected version of the product was not found on the system " error when applying Jan 2016 CU in a QA Env(Farm).I have applied same patch on Dev Env (Standlone) it worked fine.I dont want  to perform "PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1" to bypass this issue because without knowing the implication. The last patch we ran in the server was March 2015 which was fine. Not sure what is causing this issue. Please let me know how to overcome this issue. -VJ

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:38 PM

Answers

• What I mean is download the CU. Then, from an elevated cmd prompt, run:

cufile.exe /extract:C:\cucontents

Under here, you'll see a bunch of MSPs. Run those individually to validate that every patch is correctly applied.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, March 21, 2016 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:57 AM

All replies

• running without detection will not hurt and let you install.

Fixing reauired alot of efforst, you have to check the installed patched and locate which one is missing. 

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

I have even tried running the bypass command in another env where it successfully installed the patch. However, even after PSConfig execution the build number didn't not change in the server farm.

• Edited by Vij-SP2010 Monday, March 7, 2016 7:21 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 7:06 PM
  • What build number are you currently at?

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:16 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 7:20 PM
  • Hi Vij-SP2010,

You could use the ‘PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1’ to avoid the SharePoint CU update error.

Through the ‘PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1’, it will pass a parameter to the update package to bypass the package trying to check for a specific version of SharePoint being installed.

Message "The expected version of the product was not found on the system " when install Cummulative Updates in Project Server.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/malvarez/archive/2015/09/22/message-quot-the-expected-version-of-the-product-was-not-found-on-the-system-quot-when-install-cummulative-updates-in-project-server.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 5:59 AM
  • That switch should not be used outside of Microsoft guidance via a PSS case. It leads to scenarios just like the op is encountering. Instead, each package should be executed one by one after extracting the CU to disk.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Thank you for the response Trevor and Sara.

I agree with you Trevor.

Trevor,

What exactly you  mean by each package should be executed one  by one. Do you mean to say I need to install all CU updates after march 2015(last cu applied to the server) to till date?

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:16 AM
  • What I mean is download the CU. Then, from an elevated cmd prompt, run:

cufile.exe /extract:C:\cucontents

Under here, you'll see a bunch of MSPs. Run those individually to validate that every patch is correctly applied.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, March 21, 2016 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:57 AM