Sybase connection errors with SSDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need help.

I'm designing datamodels in SQL Server Data Tools but am having trouble connecting to my Sybase DB (or anything other than MSSQL). The Sybase client is installed and I'm able to connect and browse to the DB via Sybase Central. However, in SSDT, I get the error message:

Failed to connect to the server. Reason: The 'ASEOLEDB' provider is not registered on the local machine.

What do I need to install/configure to make this work?

SSDT: Visual Studio 2010 Shell ver 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64bit
    Sybase Central ver 6.0.0.4787, Sybase IQ ver 15.3.0.110506

Thanks,

Carter

• Moved by Kevin Cunnane [MSFT] Friday, February 28, 2014 5:43 PM This is an analysis services issue
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:36 AM

Answers

• Ok so try installing the 32 bit drivers for sybase, as well in addition to the box where you want to connect from. 

I am aware of the the BIDS aka SQL data tools being a 32 bit S/W which i thought was fixed via SSDT launch, i would investigate that.

Though for you please try installing the 32 bit drivers for sybase on check for connectivity if it works.

Abhinav http://bishtabhinav.wordpress.com/

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi Carter,

Base on my research, the error "The 'XXXX' provider is not registered on the local machine." was caused by that Visual Studio can only recognize 32bit providers for OLEDB providers, however, for .NET providers, both 32bit and 64 bit providers can be listed in VS. To avoid this issue, please install both 32bit and 64bit Sybase OLEDB provider and then reference the provider using ASEOLEDB in SSDT.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:02 AM
  • Hi Abhinav,

I'm on a 64bit box (Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1) and am running MS Visual Studio 2010, ver 10.0.40219.1.

We have two SSAS servers and one of them is able to connect to Oracle and Sybase DBs. The other is not and I'm trying to figure out what I need to configure on the second server in order to get it working.

Thanks,

Carter

SSDT is 32 bit app

so if you need to run in it you need 32 bit providers

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:10 AM

All replies

• I am sorry to be the one that brings you the bad news, but the SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools) are Microsoft SQL Server specific. You have to migrate your Sybase SQL Server database to MS SQL Server to be able to use the SSDT. You can do that using the MS SSMA tool (Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistent).

Needless to say that a database migration is not a trivial action. I can supply you with more information on migrating from Sybase SQL Server to MS SQL Server, but I will wait for your answer. Chances are that you cannot or do not want to migrate.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:47 AM
  • I should have said: "As far as I am aware, the SSDT are MS SQL Server specific." I just realized that I took that for granted. However, I might be mistaken. I will look into it. Give me half an hour.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:59 AM
  • I was right. SSDT is a Microsoft SQL Server tool only.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the prompt reply! So I forgot a few details in my previous post. I'm creating an Analysis Services Tabular Project in SSDT and in the Table Import Wizard, it displays a few options for relational databases: MSSQL, Oracle, Sybase, DB2, etc.

We had a MS consultant setup SSDT on a separate server and that one is able to connect to and import data from Oracle and Sybase databases. I've been trying to replicate that server but am having limited success. I'm new to SSDT and MS developer tools in general so apologies in advance. Again, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Carter

Friday, February 28, 2014 9:51 AM
  • I have to pass. I do not know anything about Analysis Services. A brighter guy has to take over from here. (Naomi, if you read this, you definitely are one of the guys ;-))

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:34 PM
  • I'm going to move your question to the Analysis Services forum - they might be able to give you more information and figure out your problem.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 5:42 PM
  • What machine are you on 32 bit or 64 bit box.

what Drivers you have installed for Sybase?

What version of SSDT you have.

I would assume you would needs Sysbase 32 bit drivers in addition to 64 bit drivers installed on client machine you are trying to get this working

Friday, February 28, 2014 7:42 PM
  • Hi Abhinav,

I'm on a 64bit box (Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1) and am running MS Visual Studio 2010, ver 10.0.40219.1.

We have two SSAS servers and one of them is able to connect to Oracle and Sybase DBs. The other is not and I'm trying to figure out what I need to configure on the second server in order to get it working.

Thanks,

Carter

Monday, March 3, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Ok so try installing the 32 bit drivers for sybase, as well in addition to the box where you want to connect from. 

I am aware of the the BIDS aka SQL data tools being a 32 bit S/W which i thought was fixed via SSDT launch, i would investigate that.

Though for you please try installing the 32 bit drivers for sybase on check for connectivity if it works.

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi Carter,

Base on my research, the error "The 'XXXX' provider is not registered on the local machine." was caused by that Visual Studio can only recognize 32bit providers for OLEDB providers, however, for .NET providers, both 32bit and 64 bit providers can be listed in VS. To avoid this issue, please install both 32bit and 64bit Sybase OLEDB provider and then reference the provider using ASEOLEDB in SSDT.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:02 AM
  • Hi Abhinav,

Thanks,

Carter

SSDT is 32 bit app

so if you need to run in it you need 32 bit providers

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hi Charlie and Visakh,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving the 32bit drivers a spin and will let you guys know.

Carter

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi All,

I've installed the 32bit drivers. ODBC connections test out, the DB connections in SSDT test out too. I've actually made it to the part where I can import in data to export. So after specifying my query, which is validated as correct, I get this error:

No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE))

Thanks in advance,

Carter

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:19 AM