Setting up virtual com ports? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am developing an application which uses the usb port on a Pocket Loox T830 host 1.1. to interface to a I2c bus using a usb cable. The Pocket Loox  has Windows CE 5.0 and .net CF 2.0. The USb-I2c module communications module is designed to be used with virtual com ports on a desktop. Could a virtual com port be set up on the Pocket loox?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Suilen

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Suilen

I assume you're using a product similar to this one:

All USB devices do a device driver installed on the PC. In your case this driver exposes itself as a viruual COM port.

To get this working on a your Windows CE based device - you'l need a device driver that provides a virtual COM port on the device.

So check with the manufacturer of your device to get the appropriate drivers.

Many devices I'm arware of do use a FTDI silicon - and they do offer Windows CE drivers (here).

Hope this helps

Michael

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:45 PM

All replies

• You might want to take a look at franson serial tools (www.franson.com), they have serial port add on tools to support virtual serial ports in the .net compact framework (C# and Visual Basic). I have used their regular serial tools, they work, but in my applications it was rather limited in scope, and I ended up using the serial port tools in the .net compact framework instead.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Hi Suilen

I assume you're using a product similar to this one:

All USB devices do a device driver installed on the PC. In your case this driver exposes itself as a viruual COM port.

To get this working on a your Windows CE based device - you'l need a device driver that provides a virtual COM port on the device.

So check with the manufacturer of your device to get the appropriate drivers.

Many devices I'm arware of do use a FTDI silicon - and they do offer Windows CE drivers (here).

Hope this helps

Michael

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:45 PM