Why is there no way to cancel an app submission? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm curious why we can't cancel an app submission (once it's past a certain stage).

It seems like it would be a benefit to devs, toMicrosoft, and to end users as it would remove the need to wait for submission to complete and then not publishing, then re-submitting a new version (e.g. if a bug or issue was found after submission, which can happen).

As it is now, Microsoft needs to test the app and certify (or rather not certify) it when there is no need. Given the nature of some bugs I have had a couple slip past my own testing and Microsoft's certification.

I have an app in certification for the last few days and I've since found a bug that can only be reproduced under quite specific circumstances, but it breaks a key feature at an important time. I would like to pull the submission and submit the fixed version in its place. But instead I need to wait another several days, then submit again and wait another week for approval. The currently published version has the bug, so users won't get a fix now for about 10 days at least.

If I could cancel my submission it would save Microsoft time (they have one less app to approve), save my users time (they will get the bug fixed several days earlier), and save me from waiting to get my app out there.

Is there a particular reason why the option to cancel a submission goes away after the first day or so? Any plans to change this? I would guess that at any given time there are a number of devs in the same situation.

• Changed type Danny G. - MS Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:10 AM
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:01 AM

All replies

• Boy I have to agree with you here.  I have been bitten by this several times.  Usually in my case it is a third party service that changes something last minute.  Then I have to update my code and resubmit...  After letting it pass certification and NOT publishing it.  Does seem like a huge waste of time if you know the app is going to fail.

But I would have a better solution...  Why not let you continue to update the XAP?  It is in the queue holding a spot in the line.  As long as it has not passed to the human reviewer stage why not let you update it?  I know people might try to game the system by submitting an update that is nothing, and hoping they get their code done before the review really starts.  But that would have to be minimal really. 

Jason Short

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:07 PM
  • I second that. For example I submitted my app for Beta signing and soon after I received new email to be added to beta testers list. Now I have to wait for 24hours until the app is signed, then add the email and resubmit - total 48 hours wasted.

I have had similar problems with Symbian development. There it was possible to recall the app when some bug was discovered after submition.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I can't specify exactly why we don't provide the ability to cancel submissions. However, I can state that our Support team will alert the Certification group to cancel submissions upon your request. Typically a submission can be canceled if you notify us within 24 hours of the time you hit "submit".

Thanks

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

I believe we can already cancel it ourselves within that first 24-hour period. It's when it gets to the next stage that our hands get tied.

And I think the usual scenario would be that the bug is spotted after a few days (due to the bug's nature being outside of normal testing and usually triggered by specific circumstances often out of the dev's control).

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Second that. You need to provide the option for developer to cancel the submission while it is still not tested.

Not to "alert the support team within 24 hours".

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

I believe we can already cancel it ourselves within that first 24-hour period. It's when it gets to the next stage that our hands get tied.

And I think the usual scenario would be that the bug is spotted after a few days (due to the bug's nature being outside of normal testing and usually triggered by specific circumstances often out of the dev's control).

That shouldn't be the case. Once an app was fully submitted the option to "delete" won't be visible.

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Danny, this has been a huge thorn in my side, made even worse by the recent delays.

I sent a request to have my most recent package canceled and no one responded.

Please allow us to cancel submissions (at least while in the signing stage).  This is a huge win for everyone.  Your reviewers are processing bad submissions and taking time away from valid submissions.  The inefficiency is very frustrating.

Please allow us to cancel submissions.  I've seen so many requests for this functionality.  It's a huge pain point for many devs.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:57 PM
  • I can't specify exactly why we don't provide the ability to cancel submissions. However, I can state that our Support team will alert the Certification group to cancel submissions upon your request. Typically a submission can be canceled if you notify us within 24 hours of the time you hit "submit".

Thanks

My experience has been that this option is dubious at best. A few months ago, I attempted to cancel an in-progress metadata update (changing the description of my app) so that I could make a more serious change (update the game binary itself). Ultimately, the Support team, after honoring my request, discovered that they cannot completely cancel a submission and return to a non-submitted state - they could only "fail" my submission, which would allow me to change my metadata, but not my app binary. Maybe things have improved since then, but the convoluted system seemed to imply that even the workarounds were unreliable.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:30 AM
  • So where is this delete button?  I just accidently submitted an update with the same xap file as the previous version.  By the way, the GUI sucks and is misleading...didn't give me an obvious way of uploading the new xap file, thus the submission of the same one.  Anyway, it's in "signing".  Where is the delete button??

It's great you guys got ride of that awful and slow app hub site, but it's little annoying things like that that make developing on this platform a really PIA.  Please notify the right people to get this fixed.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:08 AM
  • I understand - this can easily turn out to be a bad experience if you're unable to get a faulty submission canceled. You should always receive a reply within one business day of the time of your support request. If you don't, you can submit another one and we will do our best to get to you as soon as possible.

The appropriate teams are already aware of this feature request - but I still really suggest using the "feedback" tool linked on the bottom of this site. You can voice any of your concerns or opinions using this option.

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:26 PM
  • This has changed a bit - we're able to get most submissions canceled now, even meta-data updates.

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:28 PM
  • hi Danny, I would like to show next benefit of having cacnel option available all the time. I submitted an app which failed certification, I fixed bug and made required changes and updated xap aand meta data again. When I hit enter I saw an message that there was some error during submitting (I also got an email about it). But when I saw my app via web interface on my list all looked ok. I wrote a question to support about that and I got confirmation that all looks fine... so it is not :) I am waiting for certification since 29th November (so almous a month). I am asking support for help but currently no one can help me because "app somehow stuck in the queue". I was said that support will search for help in certification and engineers teams but last mail I got was "please try to upload app again". Here is my question "how" if app is in cert process? 1. So knowing each system has bugs and there are edge cases that option would also help to resolve issues like mine. 2. Maybe you could try to resolve my problem? Maybe by forcing process to fail in my case that I can try to,sumit again? cheers m.
    Monday, December 24, 2012 6:18 AM
  • So you have an application out there with your name on it and you can't do anything about it until Microsoft decides it's good and ready to do something about it.  That's disgraceful.

I think Windows development has taken it's worst ever nose dive.  It'll be a long time coming before I'll be updating our office PCs past Win 7 unless it's in a Linux direction.   I think Microsoft has gone mad with power and thinks it's going to bully everyone to do things there way like the late Apple autocrat.

I'll be looking to complete my current WP app but I don't think I'll be supporting it and I'll just focus my energies on Android from now on.

It's one stomach sickening event after another developing on MS tech now.  Sad sad shame because it used to be great.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I have recently requested support to reject my update but got failed they said that it is impossible. Please make it possible to reject by ourselves.
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:49 AM