data warehouse RRS feed

• Question

• hi every body

I am new to data warehouse tool,and I have a question about it:is my theory right?

my theory about data warehouse is that I should first design my table in SQl server mangment and then I should create my fact and dimensions by writing query in SQL Server mangement and then I can use SSIS tool for ETL processing to loading my facts and dimensions,if my theory is wrong could you please help me.

thanks

Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:59 AM

Answers

• Well in data warehousing u begin anything with proper datamodelling.U have to analyze ur source systems and can  create ER diagrams

for the same that will give u a clear understading of what will be be ur dimension as well as ur fact table.u can search on the web for anything related to data modelling or ER diagrams. Based on ur ER diagrams or the data model u have created u will create dimension and fact table .There can be staging tables as well before loading the data into resultant dimension or fact for any cleansing of the data or if u want to perform any operation and for this entire process u will use ssis which is ETL tool from microsoft

• Proposed as answer by Eileen Zhao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:00 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• Well in data warehousing u begin anything with proper datamodelling.U have to analyze ur source systems and can  create ER diagrams

for the same that will give u a clear understading of what will be be ur dimension as well as ur fact table.u can search on the web for anything related to data modelling or ER diagrams. Based on ur ER diagrams or the data model u have created u will create dimension and fact table .There can be staging tables as well before loading the data into resultant dimension or fact for any cleansing of the data or if u want to perform any operation and for this entire process u will use ssis which is ETL tool from microsoft

• Proposed as answer by Eileen Zhao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:00 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:35 AM
  • If your new to data warehousing can I recommend at you have a read of anything by Ralph kimball. The data warehouse life cycle and warehouse tool kit are especially helpful, even they are a bit dry reading. How good is your SQL? If its pretty good you might not need to use Ssis for most things except to run stored procs
    Friday, November 9, 2012 9:08 PM
  • If you are new to DW please read the Kimball book on life cycle of DW

First Reqirments are gathered and then data model is prepared and then it is loaded though ETL tools like ssis etc. on top of data model a reports are generated. This is at high level.

SQL Champ
    Database Consultants NY

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Selecting the tools to use, e.g. SQL server management studio vs Red Gate vs some of the development accelerators should be last step of the process.

First, you need to fully design at least your first fact with customer (follow 4 step Kimball process).

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:50 PM