open previous assessment in Data Migration Assistant RRS feed

• Question

• DMA v3 (January 2017)

After running assessment, reports could be exported in csv or json formats.

I would like to know if there is an option to open previously running assessment in DMA itself. There is no option as Save Assessment.

May be I am missing something, but we create a Progject, then there is an option Open... so I suppose to have some saved project for opening...

However when I try to close DMA, the message appear:

can I open json file in DMA? or is it normal to run the report and then lose it. I would like to have an option to easily open it in DMA...

What I am missing?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:56 PM

Answers

• DMA doesn't yet support opening existing reports in DMA. Today the only way is to open the CSV file in excel and then use all great features in excel such as filter, pivot tables etc (save file in xlsx form). Or export to JSON and then use it in automation pipeline. If you assess multiple DBs over multiple sessions of DMA then this blog could help you consolidate the JSON files in SQL Server. There is a follow-up blog (in progress) to show how to then have a PowerBI dashboard on top of the SQL DB to get much better reporting.

Save/Open assessments is a feature in our backlog and is not available yet.

The open assessments button you see in DMA is to open the assessments in the current session on DMA. Once you close the tool, all assessments are lost unless you save the report.

• Edited by Akash Verenkar Monday, March 6, 2017 3:26 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, March 6, 2017 5:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, March 6, 2017 12:05 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 3:25 AM

All replies

• I think the way to view reports you have previously generated with DMA is to open with the client which support the format you exported the report to.

• If you exported results to csv, open with Excel or some other csv type client.
    • If you exported results to json, open with Visual Studio or notepad

Hope that helps,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:20 PM
  • sure Excel and json openers are clear...

The report is nicely presented in DMA. That is why I am asking...

And what is Open option for... for run once "projects" in open DMA.

Would be nice if I could save the report in DMA compatible format and then open it on other PC after DMA installation.

Probably there is no such an option.

But may be somebody knows how...

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:11 PM
  • Hi pob579,

I use Process Monitor to catch the process of reporting. Based on my test, we can't find a method to export the report temp file, Data Migration Assistant also did not provide a method to review the previous report file or export report file to other format.

Besides, what's the option did you mentioned in 'Open option for... for run once "projects" in open DMA', could you please share the screenshot? 

You can download some json reader application, some application can also nicely present report.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Teige,

> Besides, what's the option did you mentioned in 'Open option for... for run once "projects" in open DMA'

I meant this:

My first thought was, that if there is an "OPEN Assessment" button, by logic in such a nice MS product there should be a "SAVE Assessment", or at least in "Export" choices should be DMA native format file type.

Instead, there is a "scary" :) message when closing DMA - ..."you will lose all the work you did so far".

I guess that Saving the Report/s that were loaded once on PC could be a valuable option for smooth navigation between reports and multiple DBs at any time, plus new reports can be added in one place, instead of multiple Excels.

Thanks for your time for checking. It is strange that you didn't find any trace of the collected report.

So it's not on the disk and not in the memory. In the cloud :)...

BTW, what json file opener that could provide the same navigation level as DMA you can recommend?

Thanks.

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:39 PM typo
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:37 PM
  • DMA doesn't yet support opening existing reports in DMA. Today the only way is to open the CSV file in excel and then use all great features in excel such as filter, pivot tables etc (save file in xlsx form). Or export to JSON and then use it in automation pipeline. If you assess multiple DBs over multiple sessions of DMA then this blog could help you consolidate the JSON files in SQL Server. There is a follow-up blog (in progress) to show how to then have a PowerBI dashboard on top of the SQL DB to get much better reporting.

Save/Open assessments is a feature in our backlog and is not available yet.

The open assessments button you see in DMA is to open the assessments in the current session on DMA. Once you close the tool, all assessments are lost unless you save the report.

• Edited by Akash Verenkar Monday, March 6, 2017 3:26 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, March 6, 2017 5:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, March 6, 2017 12:05 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Thanks for clarification Akash.

Monday, March 6, 2017 12:05 PM
  • I had very same question, or I should say disappointment, after using the Data Migration Assistant. That is how I came here.

It is rather silly to create a new 'Project', to have an overview of Assessments and Migrations, and even buttons like 'Open', 'Restart' and 'Delete' assessment, to finally discover it is all bling and one has to start all over again.

It makes it even more silly as such an assessment just consists of a couple of parameters, like a connection string, which are simple to store.

The point would be to do an assessment, change the assessed database, and re-evaluate.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:04 PM
  • I too arrive here disappointed (over 12 months since the previous post ) that the assessments conducted in DMA are lost and cannot be viewed or even re-imported into the Data Migration Assistant between sessions.

We have a FLEET of SQL Servers and databases to review and migrate to the latest SQL Server platform - having to redefine the assessment projects each time I open DMA to reassess each SQL server, as well as not being able to re-open / review the last assessment that was taken within the DMA tool is frustrating - especially given the way this information is presented in the DMA.

Resorting to CSV/JSON and Excel is a poor compromise and does not include all details presented by DMA ("Recommended Fix" for example).

Not being able to save DMA Projects between sessions is a significant feature omission - DMA should just do this without asking. Saving the latest assessment results between sessions would significantly enhance the usability of this tool.

Please, please, please consider finishing the DMA tool off properly by implementing these saves.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:35 AM
  • And here we are more than two years after the original question and still no way to save the assessment and reopen it. I'd be curious to know what's on that backlog that's more important than such basic functionality. Or maybe the team has been dissolved?
    Friday, March 29, 2019 5:28 PM
  • I think alike
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:38 PM