none
Question about Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

On the Microsoft page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255 the first sentence states that 'this download will install a set of components...'

I need a list of those specific components (which I'm assuming are dll's).   I have just inherited a large Visual Basic .NET (v 2015) application that utilizes the 64 bit Access Database Engine, and I'm trying to identify the specific references / hooks to the engine in the code base; am considering rolling back to the 32 bit flavor of same, as the 64 bit engine frequently fights with the other MS Office Apps (which are all 32 bit across the enterprise, and will not be upgraded anytime soon).   

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

David

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:55 PM

All replies

• I'm not aware of a list of files or registry changes for this package. You may want to use something like Smart Packager CE (formerly WinINSTALL LE) and run the install on a clean machine in order to capture the changes that have been made.

Microsoft Office does some checking on it's components when the apps are run so it's always somewhat tricky to attempt a side by side installation of 32 and 64-bit Access Database Engine components. I typically recommend against it. You should run 32-bit with 32-bit Office and 64-bit with 64-bit Office.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi djkrus,

According to your description, you need to know that the ACE provider is available in two forms: Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007 and  the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable. The 2007 version is only available as a 32-bit component whereas the 2010 version offers both 32 and 64-bit options.

By default, 64-bit processes cannot load 32-bit DLLs. When a call is made to the ACE provider, the 64 bit process will attempt to locate a 64-bit DLL. If it doesn't exist, you get the error message .

In this case,  you can install the 2010 64-bit version and 2007 32-bit version, You cannot have both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the 2010 provider installed at the same time.

More detailed info about this, please refer to:

https://www.mikesdotnetting.com/article/280/solved-the-microsoft-ace-oledb-12-0-provider-is-not-registered-on-the-local-machine

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:24 AM