none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 randomly corrupts files in web project.

Question

• I have Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 installed on a windows 7 enterprise laptop that has "Credant Mobile Guardian Shield" installed by the company I work for.  I cannot disable this or modify it in any way.  I am working on a web forms project and files randomly get corrupted.  It has happened with .aspx, .cs and .sitemap files. 

This issue was not detected prior to the installation of Update 2. 

The visual studio 2015 was a fresh install, then update 1 applied.  With update  1 no corruption was detected.  Then update 2 was installed and within days after that install the first corrupted file was noticed.

I cannot detect a pattern.  I have noticed that designer.cs files seem to be corrupted more frequently than .aspx files but I don't know for certain since the corruption is random.

This has been observed on multiple computers so it is not an issue with one laptop.  It does appear to be limited to web projects, or at least it has not been observed in non-web projects. It seems to be only text files that are affected.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please don't tell me to change the Credant encryption.  I cannot view or alter it in any way.  The company I work for requires it and does not allow me to alter it.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi OldGimp,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>web forms project and files randomly get corrupted. 

If the files get corrupted, could you please explain more about the corrupted file? is it broken when you open it or it shows some error information?

You could try to uninstall the VS 2015 Update 2 from Control Panel, if the issue disappear after the uninstallation, I think the cause of the issue is pending on VS Update 2.

Please download and install it from the following link:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/03/30/visual-studio-2015-update-2-rtm/

After that, please repair your VS from Control Panel :Programs >Programs and Features , select Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and click on 'repair'.

If the problem still exists, did you install any third-party packages? If so ,please restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2015 Command Prompt.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:03 AM