Report based on selection of form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have created a db based on the Northwind free db and the serivcement management db templates from Microsoft.  This database is used to maintain what we call log book entries, which is work completed on a plane, and the parts used to complete the job.  I then take this information and reproduce it in MYOB to do the invoice.  Is there a way of getting the db to create an invoice based on additional information, e.g. price for the check, technical records, consumable, etc. AND the log book entries and parts used.  Have tried playing around with a pop up form that I can check select the additional charges but get a bit lost when I get the report to reflect the selections.  Is there an easy way of getting the db to do this without to much programming?

Thanks

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:25 AM

Answers

• It just so happens that there is a way to do what you want without any code.  It is called Query by Form. Make sure your Recordsource for your Report is a Query and use the query design grid to add the names of your controls on your form in the Criteria of the query field like this: [Forms]![MyFormName]![MyControlName]

You then just have to make sure the form is open when you open your Report.

Patrick Wood Gaining Access http://gainingaccess.net
    • Proposed as answer by Macy Dong Monday, July 4, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Macy Dong Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:09 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• It just so happens that there is a way to do what you want without any code.  It is called Query by Form. Make sure your Recordsource for your Report is a Query and use the query design grid to add the names of your controls on your form in the Criteria of the query field like this: [Forms]![MyFormName]![MyControlName]

You then just have to make sure the form is open when you open your Report.

Patrick Wood Gaining Access http://gainingaccess.net
    • Proposed as answer by Macy Dong Monday, July 4, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Macy Dong Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:09 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hello Rachel,

I think Patrick has given us a good idea.

Have you tried his idea on your side?

If the issue persists or we have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Macy Dong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:19 AM