none
Where to find microsoft visual studio 2008 express edition product registration key?

Question

• Hi, I have Microsoft visual studio 2008 express edition installed on my computer. After the computer is upgraded to Windows 10 automatically, it keeps prompting me for a registration key. When I click on the register link and the page doesn't show any registration. Anyone can help?
    • Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Friday, March 17, 2017 9:32 AM Moved From Visual C#
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi, I have Microsoft visual studio 2008 express edition installed on my computer. After the computer is upgraded to Windows 10 automatically, it keeps prompting me for a registration key. When I click on the register link and the page doesn't show any registration. Can anyone help?
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:30 AM
  • If you still have backup of "before Win10" state in the Windows.old folder, you can try to mount the old registry and get the old key, then manually add the same key to registry.

1) Load Hive the old registry at \Windows.old\Users\<Username>\NTUSER.DAT

(The file has "system" file attribute, so you may need to uncheck "Tools" -> "Folder Options" -> "View" -> "Hide protected system files. (Recommanded)" first.

2) The key is located at /Software/Microsoft/VCExpress/9.0/Registration of mounted location. You can export the subkey there to .reg file and adjust the key path to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then import to the current system.

Btw, it'd be better to use newer version of VS Express if there's no specific reason to use it.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Hi Fenghui156,

This is Visual C# forum. As your issue is related to Visual Studio I am moving your thread to Visual Studio General forum for getting quick response.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi Fenghui156,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Visual Studio Express 2008 is no longer available from Microsoft, The online registration link is not live any longer. So you needn’t to get registration key for Visual Studio 2008 express. You can install the Visual Studio 2008 Express ALL-IN-ONE ISO from the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/5/8B5804AD-4990-40D0-A6AA-CE894CBBB3DC/VS2008ExpressENUX1397868.iso

And it doesn’t need to be registered.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:50 AM
  • Thanks. Will give it a try and response if it works.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Hi, 

I tried to install but it gave the below error. Can assist?

Error upon clicking on Visual Web Developer 2008

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Please run the setup.exe in the folder of VBExpress, VCExpress, VCSExpress and VWDExpress.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 6:40 AM