aspnetdb_log.ldf and css friendly causing application to fail (access denied) RRS feed

• Question

• User-2109111975 posted

I have so many details floating around in my head... I'm going to try to make this lean...

I have an application, within which are several other applications.

The main application contains the css friendly dll in its bin folder and the browsers file in App_Browsers.

Running locally, everything is great.

Running on the server everything is great except for one sub-application: the one using the Media control.

I get the following error:

Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.
    File activation failure. The physical file name "[LOCALPATH]\aspnetdb_log.ldf" may be incorrect.

If I remove the css friendly dll and .browsers file, everything is cool... except that it looks terrible.

If I put those 2 files back in, the site ceases to work.

If I try to delete [LOCALPATH]\aspnetdb.mdf, I get a "file in use error."

the .ldf is present in the same folder.

Any hints on what I can do to get rid of this and still keep the adapter? (I do not want the aspnetdb files at all if possible...)

Thanks,

jim

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:08 PM

Answers

• User-2109111975 posted

Ok, so I got it fixed...

I copied the application to a new folder excluding App_Data, App_Browsers, and the cssFriendly.dll.

Changed IIS to point to this new folder, and everything worked (except for the ugly menu due to no cssFriendly)

I added the .dll and .browsers files back to my application and the App_Data folder was created with a new .mdf file, and I got the error again about accessing the .ldf file.

I copied the old .ldf file to the new App_Data folder, and it worked.

But I was not at all happy with that, so I removed App_Data, App_Browsers and the dll again.

Modified my web.config to clear the default membership provider:

<membership>
          <providers>
            <clear/>
            <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="[MY_CONNECTION_STRING]" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="/" requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
          </providers>
        </membership>

Everything ran smoothly with that added...

So I added the .browsers and .dll files back to the application; it ran again w/o recreating the .mdf and .ldf files and now everything works.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:14 AM