Motorola SelectionList issue RRS feed

• Question

• User512894520 posted

Hi,

I have created a simple Mobile WebForm with two SelectionList controls with SelectType as DropDown. When I access this page on a Motorola V3i the first dropdown is displayed as a numbered list with indexs from 1- 9 for the first 9 values of the dropdown and the rest without numbers but still as a list. Every dropdown control after the first one is diplayed as expected i.e it appears like a textbox... when one clicks on this box, a list is displayed where one can choose a value among the list and then the textbox shows this value.

The page displays appropriately in all other devices that I could test with - Nokia S40, Nokia S60, Blackberry, Symbian/Mozilla etc. It only seems to be a problem with Motorola handsets. Has anyone faced a similar issue before. Further if anyone could point me to a site from where I could download a Motorola V3 emulator (or any motorola emulator for that matter) to understand request/response headers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks is advance.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:39 AM

All replies

• User-891526991 posted

You can find motorola emulators at www.motocoder.com and I think u need to Profile those devices for ASP.Net web applications (Refer http://forums.asp.net/thread/1272726.aspx  Device profiling which is on Top of this forum in page 1)

Cheers

Rajesh. 

Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:41 AM
  • User512894520 posted

Hi Rajesh,

Thanx for the response but unfortunately it didn't help me much. I had already downloaded the V6.3 SDK from motorola (motocoder.com) but apparently all that one can do on these emulators is run/test java applications. Or is there some specific emulator that lets one simulate a browser behaviour (say calling an aspx page)? Have you actually tried some emulator from motocoder.com for testing an ASP.Net application? If you could specify which emulator version you downloaded it will be of great help.

Thanx.

Friday, January 12, 2007 7:41 AM
  • User-32170181 posted

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Have you found the solution? I have! 

The dropdowns are displayed as lists on Motorolas. The way to make it behave properly is to use <optgroup>'s in the <select>.

Read more here: Motorola dropdown 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:20 AM
  • User512894520 posted

Hi Defza,

Thanx for the response. The solution proposed by you helps only if the lists are created statically. If they are created and populated dynamically, ASP.Net 2.0 Mobile's SelectionList control does not provide an '<optgroup>' element. Apparently one needs to create a custom-control that inherits from SelectionList. Try this thread for a better explanation  <http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t81224-dynamically-adding-content-to-selection-list-in-aspnet-vbnet.html> . Or have you found a method to implement this '<optgroup>' behaviour dynamically as well? If you have, a little more help would be very welcome [:)]

Thanx.

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:37 AM
  • User-32170181 posted
    Hay,

Sorry, I don't have enough PC power to install ASP on my PC, else I would have tried to help.
    Isn't ASP.NET a paid for program? Don't they provide help/support for the program?

BUT, I did find another way to overcome this problem! Motorola Dropdown list display
    Hopefully you can leave out closing tags in ASP!

This is the easiest way to fix, although it doesn't make the markup XHTML, it is still valid HTML.
    <strong>You have to leave out the closing OPTION tags.</strong>

Like so:
    <select><br />
    <option value="CellC">CellC
    <option value="blah">Blah
    </select>

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

David

Thursday, February 8, 2007 10:58 AM
  • User907266268 posted

David,

ASP.NET is a free.  You can get access to it through the SDK or Visual Web Developer Express

You can purchase Visual Studio 2005 which has a richer feature set for development, but it's not needed to get into the game.

Cheers,
    Colin

Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:41 PM