install a domain RRS feed

• Question

• User1322156359 posted

hi all,

i'm new with active directory, and i have to configure my domain. But first of all, if i do "ipconfig", I see a dns suffix, which probably means that i am already inside another domain.

won't it give problems when i'm connected to that network and i install a new domain???

thanks 

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:24 AM

Answers

• User113421904 posted

Hi svj,

Based on my experience, it is OK to install a new domain when you are connected to an existing one. Please take care of the dns setting. The new domain control may require a new dns server or an existing one which support the new dns suffix. And you need to configure the domain controller and computers in the new domain to use the new dns server in TCP/IP setting.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:04 AM
  • User1322156359 posted

yes it works fine now.

first the pc was connected a network, like every other pc here in the company. connected to a domain, received its ip from a dhcp server and so on... luckily the dhcp server was configured to give each pc in the network always the same ip adress.

now the pc is still on the same network, but i configured it as a dns server. i had to take a static ip adres, so i took the same ip address which was before always automatically assigned to that pc. standard gateway and alternate dns server i also took te same addresses as before.... after that i was able to configure the active directory, and now everything works fine.

in windows explorer, under my network places i see now two domains: the previous domain of the company PLUS my new domain with all pc's that are member of the domain.

I hope nothing will explode soon or later? (because i followed no guidelines; only configured everything by guessing. AND most astonishing of all, it works !!!!

does anyone sees maybe a potential problem in what i did? (i have to be sure that this configuration will bring no surprises)

thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:55 AM

All replies

• User-319574463 posted

Are you part of a managed domain? If so your network administrators are likely to be very displeased if you create a new domain without their knowledge and consent. They may well require you to run isolated from the rest of the network

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:01 AM
  • User113421904 posted

Hi svj,

Based on my experience, it is OK to install a new domain when you are connected to an existing one. Please take care of the dns setting. The new domain control may require a new dns server or an existing one which support the new dns suffix. And you need to configure the domain controller and computers in the new domain to use the new dns server in TCP/IP setting.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:04 AM
  • User1322156359 posted

yes it works fine now.

first the pc was connected a network, like every other pc here in the company. connected to a domain, received its ip from a dhcp server and so on... luckily the dhcp server was configured to give each pc in the network always the same ip adress.

now the pc is still on the same network, but i configured it as a dns server. i had to take a static ip adres, so i took the same ip address which was before always automatically assigned to that pc. standard gateway and alternate dns server i also took te same addresses as before.... after that i was able to configure the active directory, and now everything works fine.

in windows explorer, under my network places i see now two domains: the previous domain of the company PLUS my new domain with all pc's that are member of the domain.

I hope nothing will explode soon or later? (because i followed no guidelines; only configured everything by guessing. AND most astonishing of all, it works !!!!

does anyone sees maybe a potential problem in what i did? (i have to be sure that this configuration will bring no surprises)

thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:55 AM
  • User113421904 posted

Great. But sorry I cann't see that far. Maybe try rebooting... 

Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:59 AM
  • User1322156359 posted

we're two days further now.... whole network is rebooted and it still works !!!

but i'm a bit affraid because i did everything without guidlines, it's my first time i do this.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:47 PM